1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bronx is Burning

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 9, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Fran must have signed a lifetime contract with the devil to be involved in the production. Good call on Lauria. I haven't seen him on the tube for awhile. Caught a few minutes of The Wonder Years two weeks ago. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed his role as Kevin's dad on the show (if I can get away from watching Winnie).

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't owe Bubbler shit. A 15-second cameo by Juicin' Giambi as a cabby doesn't exactly qualify as fulfilling Bubbler's prediction of a ton of cameos by ESPN personalities.
    When did Giambi become an ESPN personality?

As one who lived through the Summer of '77 and spent some time in that Yankees clubhouse, I didn't think it was that bad...of course, my expectations were low.
    Torturo was great and I thought Platt played a very good characiture of George as his blustering best.
    The actor playing Reggie, however, is very weak.

3. boots

boots New Member

As one who been to Yankee tomb with spnited, he is telling the truth. Those times were fun and crazy. It was a time of who you knew. Everyone was snitching on everyone. That's why it's called the Bronx Zoo.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Once I found what time it was on I found it pretty unwatchable. For anyone who wanted to learn more about that team your time would be better spent reading The Bronx Zoo.

Also found 78 team/ story more engaging anyway from a baseball perspective.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It was a joke Spnited. Calm down.

And you have to admit forcing a Jason Giambi cameo into a series about the Bronx Zoo is kind of lame. Why not have a cameo from one of the actual '77 Yankees instead?

But that wouldn't work. Kids today wouldn't know Ed Figueroa from a hole in the ground.

6. Boom_70

They would think he was Edward James Olmos.

7. boots

boots New Member

Reggie talked after the show.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks Bubbler. Jiminy Christmas, a pro would read between the lines and get that joke, without a blue font. ::)

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Damn, you got that right. Figueroa was at Old Timers Day at the Stadium last weekend, and he really cracked me up. He does look like Edward James Olmos, with the long, dark hair and the sun glasses and the pocked, tan face. He was the player who still looked most like what he looked like in 1977. He got so overshadowed by Guidry in those years, but what a good pitcher he was. First Puerto Rican to win 20 games in a season. What a trade that turned out to be for the Yankees. I believe they got Figueroa and Mickey Rivers from the Angels for Bobby Bonds, who ended up going from team to team to team after that. Figueroa and Rivers were such huge parts of the teams that won three pennants and two world championships.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Full disclosure: These days I wouldn't know Ed Figueroa from a hole in the ground either, but at least I now know he looks like Edward James Olmos.

Ragu is right, Figueroa was underrated. I know I feared him when I was a young Brewer fan tyke as much as I did Guidry. Didn't he win 20 games in '78 too? Then he kind of fell apart.

Bronx Is Burning should slip in a '77 Yankee cameo every week. Due up is Roy White, on deck is Dick Tidrow and Ken Clay is in the hole.

11. Boom_70

Agree Figueroa was unsung and important part of that team. I happened to see him in city Friday night and did a double take. I thought is was Castillo. I also saw Billy Martin jr - god he looks so much like his dad.

12. Boom_70

ESPN is showing The Junction Boys at 10 am

Draft saved Draft deleted