1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Bridge" on FX

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know it was mentioned on the TV thread, but figured this show will be talked about enough to merit its own thread. Who else watched?

I think it's got real potential, but trying not to get too excited after the fiasco that was "The Killing" (which was also adapted from a Danish series). But I thought Damian Bichir was tremendous, and I love Ted Levine in just about anything.

The only thing I'm not sold on is the plausibility that someone with Sonya Cross' condition rising to the level of homicide detective or being given the lead on a judge's murder. I'm sure — or at least I hope — it will be explained in some way.

2. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

I looked forward to it since I enjoy most of the FX dramas - I'm a huge SoA fan - but came away a little disappointed with last night's premiere. I agree with you on Diane Kruger's character not being believable and I don't think Kruger and Demian Bichir have chemistry as the leads. It's still early, so hopefully future episodes develop those areas.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It's going to be difficult for someone being portrayed with aspergers to develop chemistry with anyone. I liked most of the main characters and thought they were acted out well, but there's something off about the show that I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's just going to be difficult for a lead character with aspergers to emotionally connect with an average viewer. I don't know yet.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

This is pretty much how I felt. I want to like it but I'm not sold yet. I found the Sonya character to be *really* irritating and a bit of a caricature. I'll give it another chance, because I have faith in FX, producer Meredith Stiehm and Alan Sepinwall, who really liked the first three episodes he's seen, but like I said, I'm not sold yet.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Asperger's syndrome thing might be enough to pull me. I've read Diane Kruger's character comes across a bit like Gregory House, perhaps my favorite TV show character ever.

I had a lot of trepidation because the initial premise (two dead bodies connected and laid across the board) seems contrived and because The Killing put me off Danish murder mysteries. I probably will check out the pilot at some point, though.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

All in.

How do you say "it puts the lotion on" in Spanish?

7. 93Devil

Not if she is the niece or daughter of the retiring lieutenant.

OK, I am going to talk about the first episode, so stop reading if you don't like spoilers.

1. WTF is behind the door?
    2. I love how shows are now starting to show people who we piss on with propaganda (Russians, Mexicans) in a positive light.
    3. I love the Mexican dialogue.
    4. Not sold if this is the actress for the part or not.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The woman straddles the line between interesting and very annoying. I'm still interested enough to keep watching, though.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The House comparison works, based on what I saw, from her total lack of compassion and concern for work and finding results. She's not a sarcastic prick, but does have a sort of smarter than you attitude.
    I didn't love last night's premiere, but it piqued my interest.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

"Don't worry, your wife was dead by then."

11. 93Devil

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2011/debunking-6-myths-about-asperger-syndrome/all/1/

Reading this might make her character a little more interesting.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was glad the bomb didn't go off. Lillard is one of those actors who as soon as you see him in a role, makes the character interesting. There are a lot of moving parts in this thing, and I'm hopeful it realizes its potential. The first order of business is to establish Kruger's "condition" and make it a meaningful part of the plot and not just a way to make the character "colorful."
    Ted Levine sure draws the short straw when it comes to supervising detectives. First Monk and now this?

Draft saved Draft deleted