1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boston Globe and firefighter autopsies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Oct 4, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

People with .27 BAC can drive cars. Not very well, but they still get behind the wheel.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

And those are the ones who should do a lot of jail time for it.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

In terms of the BAC, I want to see what other mitigating factors may have been at play, i.e. chemicals at the scene, etc.

I doubt the city would've been in a rush to leak this had there been any inkling of doubt, but still, I wanna wait a bit.

4. boots

boots New Member

And those are the ones who should not be fighting fires.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Boots: (I have been away from this thread for a good day or so). Every other post basically says, "These guys died as heroes. Let them and their families rest in peace."

I disagree, obviously.

To the earlier comment about someone "wanting it out," several TV stations also had it. Once was ordered by a judge not to report it. That was overturned the next day.

Of course people wanted it out. It's news.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Glad to hear Rea was doing a good job.

I miss Sully already, and I have missed David Brudnboy for a while now.

I was tempted to listen (it carries up here at night), but I knew it would piss me off way too much to hear the comments.

Now it turns out the one who was drink also lost his license for a DWI and was likely driving firetrucks when he was not supposed to be. They're getting whacked for that story, too.

7. KP

KP Active Member

A hardship license would allow him to drive the fire truck. He did break his contract by not informing higher-ups of his license being suspended, which started once he refused a breath test.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

What an awful story. It needs to be told, not just for the news value but for the other firefighters out there who might be doing this.

If they families are upset that their loved ones are being made an example of, they need to be reminded that it was their loved ones' choices that let them be examples.

9. boots

boots New Member

A hero is a sandwich. These guys were fucked up. I have sympathy for their families but that's about it.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

KP: He was allowed to drive between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. to get to and from work. I am not sure if he could drive *for* work.

He was not allowed to drive from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., and he did work a number of 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. shifts.

That's what the Globe said, at least that's how I read it.

Draft saved Draft deleted