1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bonds Ball results are in

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 26, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Hopefully this isn't a d_b and I think the wrong thing won the voting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-bonds-756ball&prov=ap&type=lgns

Rest of the story is at the link.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The Yahoo article (at least when I posted it) didn't show the results:
    http://www.vote756.com/marcecko/
    47% - brand it
    34% - bestow it
    19% - launch it into space

3. Mike and Mike had a guy from the Hall of Fame on this morning. The guy said the Hall will display the ball, asterisk and all.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Bravo to the Hall of Fame, but I'll believe it when I see it.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My prediction: the Hall doesn't accept the ball and uses whatever ball turns out to be Bonds' final home run, since that techincally will be the record-setter. No way does the Hall of Fame enshrine someone else's opinion. EDIT: And by that, I mean they'll enshrine someone else's opinion because ... I'm not sure why.

So should we start fucking around with other HOFers items? Drape a white hood over the Ty Cobb bust? Replace the bat in a Babe Ruth statue with a bottle of Jack? Bad precedent and an unclassy move by the HOF, no matter what you think of Bonds and/or how he got the record.

6. I'm torn--part of me feels that it's a travesty that the hall is going to display it. I despise bonds and feel his record is tainted but the hall of fame should have politely told Ecko no thanks. yes, the ball WAS a piece of important baseball history, that is until it was more or less vandalized

then again, i have no faith that the hall will properly tell the bonds story on his plaque when he's eventually enshrined so maybe it's a good thing afterall

like i said..I'm torn...

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I said this in a previous topic about the ball, but here it goes again: No matter what you think of Bonds -- and I can't stand the fuck -- you don't screw with history. The ball shouldn't be branded with someone else's opinion of "justice," no matter what. I love your points, Eagle. How would someone feel if Cobb was wearing a hood or if behind Pete Rose stood his bookie? We all know what kind of people these guys are, but it doesn't mean they -- or their things -- should be defaced for everyone to see.

The steroid issue should be in the Hall of Fame, even given its own wing -- or floor -- with the rate things are going now. But the ball doesn't need to be marked. I think it's a horrible way to spend $750,000 or $7.50. And, not that I believe he's innocent in any way, but Bonds hasn't even been suspended by the league -- yet.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The Hall may accept the ball, but I would be shocked if it was displayed in any way in which the asterisk would be visible.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm sure, depending on the size of the mark, it'll be displayed with the asterisk will be faced toward the wall. But I think they'll have to -- or at least will -- include a description of what happened to the record-setter. If for nothing else, to answer any questions people have.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

What if there's a field of little asterisks all over the ball? He hasn't marked it yet, has he?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Isn't this guy having an internet vote and branding the ball with an asterisk a part of history?

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My saying "purple telecopter enormous pantsleg aborigine quasar au gratin evolutionary spit sink sherbet sedan" counts as history, too, in that nobody's ever done it. But it's not something Hall of Fame worthy either.

Draft saved Draft deleted