1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Black Crowes: HOF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 17, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

So what? I didn't offer a rebuttal.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Soundgarden is a band that, I think, was not as good as the sum of its parts. They had an all-time vocalist and an excellent guitarist, but, you're right, they are in the second division of Seattle bands. I'd put Screaming Trees ahead of them, as well.

3. Dick Whitman

If you say so. That's pretty clearly what it was, though. Next time finish the entire paragraph before you assume.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I think Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and the Foo Fighters are clearly better than the Black Crowes. I kind of have to put Nirvana and Pearl Jam ahead of them because of sheer influence (though I think, in particular, that Pearl Jam is wildly overrated).

Other than those, I can't think of any band that's "better," or that holds up even remotely as well as the Black Crowes.

Think what you want about Radiohead, but they are not a "rock" band.

I guess I could see the argument for the Dave Matthews Band, but there is no argument for Lenny Kravitz, Nine Inch Nails, Green Day or others.

5. Dick Whitman

This part is pretty key - they had a classic sound. Of course, that's a double-edged sword, because the argument against them is that they derivative. I guess my answer to the idea that anyone could have done what they did is that they are welcome to go out and find someone with Chris Robinson's voice and have at it.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Never could get into the Foo Fighters, other than the covers album they did not too long ago.

7. Dick Whitman

My friend who is the biggest rock junkie I know always says they (he?) are a perfectly proficient band that bores him to tears. The Eagles of their time, I guess.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It's funny, I was just thinking yesterday how bored I am with music and needed to find something "new." I can only listen to so much Thin Lizzy and Jason Isbell. I will have to check out some of the Crowes' post-SH stuff.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I think a huge part of the Foo Fighters' appeal is they all seem like really great, fun guys. That means something in an era when most bands took themselves way too seriously.

"Big Me" and "Learning to Fly" are all-time great videos.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Foo Fighters were/are OK but this will always be in the pantheon.

11. Dick Whitman

Which is ironic, considering that the frontman/founder was part of the band that basically brought dourness to rock music.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's where I am on them. (Sorry, Moddy.) They write perfectly fine songs, I liked them when they first started, and I have zero desire to listen to anything post-Colour and the Shape.

Draft saved Draft deleted