1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Biggest LOOSER -- running weight loss thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

New handle: Average-sizedpern23

2. So .... tomorrow (Thursday) is my first day doing P90X. My best friend's boyfriend is a coach for Beachbody and when I told him I was thinking of trying out P90X, he really encouraged me to do it. Said that it's intimidating to see everything that they do on the videos, but you don't have to push yourself to do everything they do. Just do what you can do and work your way up.

I'll be honest, I'm scared as shit about doing this. I'm 27 years old, about 350, never been a little guy. This is just a big undertaking for someone like me. But for as scared as I am, I'm really excited about it too. I'd rather not die when I'm 35 from a heart attack, so it's time to do something about that. I told my roommate that I'm not doing all the measuring and photos and all that other stuff that they want you to do, because I don't really care about how the numbers work out. I want to feel better in my everyday life. I want to be able to walk up the three flights of stairs to my office without getting winded. I'd like to go play basketball and not get winded after a couple trips up and down the court. I'd like to get a little stronger and maybe hit the golf ball a little farther.

The funny thing is, my biggest fear is that this is actually going to work and I'm going to have to buy new clothes. I can't afford to buy a new wardrobe, but I guess it'd be a good problem to have. Hopefully Day 1 doesn't kick my ass too badly today. Wish me luck.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I started back on Weight Watchers four weeks ago.
    I'm presently down 9.5 pounds to 180. I'm looking to drop another 20 by the end of the summer.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Woohoo! Just finished the last week, along with Boom--my first time through, his second.

You have nothing to be worried about, if you go at your own pace, use weights that feel comfortable, do the reps you can do. If you're fatigued, pause the dvd and catch your wind. Don't quit...the results are inevitable and stunning. Just know that people who have worked out for years suddenly feel like they never worked out a day in their lives.

You can skip the photos and measuring, but you might wish you had those measurements later.

For sure print out the blank sheets to track your weights and reps, that is essential.

We are taking a week off, and starting again, with a few modifications. Can't wait to get back to it.

Good luck. The first week will definitely kick your ass, but in a good way. Excited for you!

ps, the success of this program depends on how you eat, not just how you work out. You don't have to follow their eating plan to the letter, but you have to follow the concept to some degree. This time around, Boom cut all the starchy carbs....instant results.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's great, RCP ... My fiancee and I are going to get started on P90x soon as well. I'm trying to snag it from a friend, just haven't had a chance to meet up with him yet. We're moving into a new place June 1 and we're going to turn the garage into her fitness studio (mostly so she can work with her personal training clients, but we'll use it as well). Everyone I know who's used it said it's great.

Two pieces of advice ...
    1) Take the pictures and measurements, etc. You might not think you'll care about it now, but when the pounds start dropping, it's an awesome feeling to look back at the progress you've made since you first started. I have some before pics and the difference is crazy. I only wish I had taken more as the time went on so I could see the progression better.

2) Focus heavily on nutrition. I work out frequently, but I've had a couple of weeks where I could only get to the gym once or twice. In the meantime, I kept up my nutrition plan and the pounds kept coming off. I actually eat more now than I did before and I'm losing on average 2 pounds per week because I'm eating right.

EDIT: Didn't realize I forgot to hit the "post" button, so I'm just echoing 21 here, but I think she's right on the money.

6. I just finished a month of Nutrisystem (in an effort to have some enforced portion control) and now I've switched over to Weight Watchers (which I have had previous success). After five weeks, I'm down 15 pounds, now only about 100 to go.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This thread appears to have trimmed down quite a bit.
    Congratulations, thread!

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Weight Watchers rules! Down just over 70 lbs!

9. Two more pounds this week. Things are heading in the right direction.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Congrats, HC, that's fantastic! I think for any of us who have lost a significant amount of weight it feels great to post those milestones, but for those who are just joining the thread, I think the idea that a long journey begins with one step should be appreciated as well!!!

Nice work, Marcus .... as my fiancee (who is a personal trainer) loves to point out to me, losing 1.5 to 2 pounds per week is a very healthy, attainable goal for most people.

As great as the Biggest Loser is, I think it can, in some respects, it can lead people to hold unrealistic expectations of what their progress should be. And I don't mean that to denigrate the show at all. Frankly, I never watched it before about three weeks ago and, after finally watching it, I can identify with a lot of the things the contestants talked about. But, expecting to lose 109 pounds in seven weeks is largely unrealistic if you have to actually go to work sometimes.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Well said, bp. My seventy pounds took over a year and there's more to go. All those weekly weigh ins where you're down 1 lb or .4 lbs - it felt like I wasn't doing anything but it slowly adds up. For those just starting or contemplating starting on this journey, remember all those little bits add up. Set little goals for yourself and celebrate all of them!

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Congratulations, HC! Isn't WW great?

Draft saved Draft deleted