1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Biggest LOOSER -- running weight loss thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Did you make the dough? If so, how do you get it so that it doesn't taste doughy? That was my problem when I tried to make my last pizza...

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I did not make the dough ... just picked it up for a buck at WalMart (the kind in a bag, not a frozen one). I forget the brand, but I was pretty much just looking for the cheapest one they had.

Had fewer carbs and brown carbs are better for you than white carbs anyway. I also recommend turkey pepperoni .... tastes the same and has 70 percent less fat than regular. Fifteen slices (pretty much enough to cover one pizza) has like 4g of fat or something.

3. bigpern23

Another recommendation is to pick up the book, "Cook This, Not That." Just bought it for my mother and was flipping through it ... has a lot of great ways to make the food you really like only healthier (for instance, they make grilled cheese with apple and bacon and it's reasonably healthy - wheat bread, reduced fat cheese, turkey bacon, apple slices).

4. bigpern23

So, the downside of losing a bunch of weight is that all of my clothes are too big now. :)

My fiancee bought me some shorts a few days ago. I used to wear a 38, so she bought me a 36. They were too big, so I exchanged them for a pair of 34s. Also too big. :) Haven't gone back yet, but it looks like I'm down to a 33 and possibly a 32.

I haven't worn a 32 since high school.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Awesome, bp!!! Feels good, don't it? :)

6. bigpern23

It's feels great, HC ... not just for how I look, but I feel much lighter on my feet and better in just about every way.

Today, I was on the elliptical and got through a mile and change, but felt like shit and didn't really have it going. So jumped on the treadmill to switch things up and wound up running 5k in 31 mins. Felt great. Gotta get that time down, but considering that I thought I was going to have a shitty workout, it felt pretty amazing to run the farthest I ever have without stopping or slowing down (even in my younger days as an athlete I never really ran more than a mile without stopping - simply running has never been my thing).

Think I'm going to put a few road races on my calendar this summer!

7. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I did my first 5k today. I was awfully slow, but I'm pretty dang proud to have finished, as I'd never gone more than two miles before this morning.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Congrats! You're ahead of most people! :D

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Pick a big one to really aim for, and then pick a couple of smaller ones leading up to it. But select one that really sticks out in your mind as "the" goal, and it helps you focus better than just picking a string of 5Ks. It can be your "Olympics" and you can build toward it, and get enough rest and cut down a bit the week it arrives, things like that.

10. bigpern23

Yeah, I've already got one in mind ... there's a 10-mile road race that kicks off a seafood festival in my hometown the last weekend of July. I think I might be able to be ready by then.

11. bigpern23

My fiancee measured me today and I'm officially down to a 32-inch waist. I weighed in at 189 pounds this morning. That's 41 pounds and 6 inches off my waist since about Mid-January. Had to brag a little more. :)

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Don't blame you, bp. That's AWESOME!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted