1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best tournament I have ever seen.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bjot, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, hell. Thanks for saying hello.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great first weekend. I kind of expect the next two weeks not to be as good since some of the favorites have pretty easy paths to the next round.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I agree that the first weekend was great, but we'll see about things the rest of the way.

As fun as Northern Iowa beating Kansas was, I'm disappointed that we won't be seeing a Kentucky-Kansas final. Those were the two best teams all year and would have put probably 8-10 future pros on the court in the final game.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I cannot remember it because I was too young, but the DePaul, Michigan State, Indiana State and Penn tourney had to of been pretty cool, right?

Bird, Magic, Aguirre and an Ivy would place it in the conversation for me.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That was the first tournament I watched as a kid. Back then it was a 40-team tournament and the top six seeds in each region received first round byes.

I googled the results from that year because I have no recall of where each team was seeded and who they beat to get to Salt Lake.

Indiana State was the only No. 1 seed to reach the Final Four.

Michigan State was No. 2 in the Mideast behind Notre Dame. DePaul was No. 2 behind UCLA in the West. Penn was the No. 9 in East (North Carolina was No. 1).

Penn beat Iona (8 seed) in the first round, Carolina in the second round, Syracuse (4 seed) in the regional semis and the No. 10 seed St. John's in the regional final. St. John's knocked out the No. 2 seed Duke in the regional semis.

The East was the only regional that didn't play to form up to the Elite Eight. The top two teams in the other three regions all reached the regional final, though Indiana State was the only No. 1 to advance.

While the East was pretty wild in terms of upsets there wasn't much drama in the other three regions.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I would love it even more if CBS would switch to the closer games in a more timely fashion.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Without googling. Was that Santa Clara?

I'm 34, and I already forget too much shit.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

UR over SYRACUSE, 1991. Funny story to come.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And that's back when Notre Dame carried some heavy weight in basketball. Those ND teams were pretty fun to watch as well--Tripucka, Woolridge and many others.

Funny thing is no one probably saw Bird until the regional finals. Even though he was an SI cover boy, Indiana State wouldn't have warranted the coverage of a lot of the other heavyweights, and unlike today, you got one game at a time--didn't get a lot of switching back and forth between games, if at all.

One of the first revelations of how cool cable TV could be (in addition to seeing movies like Corvette Summer on the Movie Channel damn near whenever you wanted) was when ESPN broadcast some round of 16 games in the early 80s. Must have been in addition to CBS, but it was the first time you really got to see beyond your single game and into all the games. Can still remember watching Sleepy Floyd on a Thursday night in March and thinking this is pretty sweet (sixteen).

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And it's also made the NBA less watchable, enjoyable and competitive.

Best Tourney: Maryland WINS
    2nd & 3rd best: Georgetown loses

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

All the college teams blend together because you do not get a chance to know the star players over 3-4 years.

Imagine Durant still in college. How would you look at Texas, or Love at UCLA?

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Young man, you are just asking for it. Don't you people understand how hard it is to be a Syracuse fan? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted