1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Best Song by ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Reba McEntire

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Police were one of my absolute favorite bands in high school. Saw them twice: Ghost in the Machine and Synchronicity tours. (Not all that good either time, but better than some Sting solo shows which tended to be quite bad.)

I think The Police have aged pretty badly. I now prefer actual reggae to fake British white boy pseudo-reggae. Most of all, though, Sting's fake Jamaican accent just kills many of their songs for me. My favorite used to be "Every Little Thing she Does is Magic" but I can't hack the bullshit patois: "Ev'ry ting she do jus' turn me on." Fuck off, you're an upper class English teacher.

Having said that, this still kicks ass.. or at least I'm giving massive credit for the Beat t-shirt. I've had at least three of those over the years.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So many possibles, but I wanted something strong that was representative of their sound. I think this is their strongest album. I thought about "Spanish Moon" or "Fat Man in the Bathtub", but I just like this a lot.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  5. PCLoadLetter

The Police were one of my absolute favorite bands in high school. Saw them twice: Ghost in the Machine and Synchronicity tours. (Not all that good either time, but better than some Sting solo shows which tended to be quite bad.)

I think The Police have aged pretty badly. I now prefer actual reggae to fake British white boy pseudo-reggae. Most of all, though, Sting's fake Jamaican accent just kills many of their songs for me. My favorite used to be "Every Little Thing she Does is Magic" but I can't hack the bullshit patois: "Ev'ry ting she do jus' turn me on." Fuck off, you're an upper class English teacher.

Having said that, this still kicks ass.. or at least I'm giving massive credit for the Beat t-shirt. I've had at least three of those over the years.

Side note: all three of them should be slapped in the face for the reworked version they put on a greatest hits album years later. Wankers.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There are lots of choices, but I'll fight you on this.

7. PCLoadLetter

The Who falls into a tricky category for me because I want to pick something cool and obscure but I can't.

I love The Who. No band meant more to me in my teen years. I would love to pick something lesser known like "Tattoo," which is awesome, but the answer is "Won't Get Fooled Again" and it's not particularly close. I might make the argument that it's the greatest rock song period. (Second Who choice: "Love Reign O'er Me.")

Along those same lines, Springsteen has a million terrific songs but the best is "Thunder Road," which is an obvious and boring pick. I have everything Cheap Trick has ever done -- hundreds and hundreds of songs -- and the best by a mile is "Surrender," the hit song everybody knows.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Best Who song that isn't beat to death by classic rock radio:

Twirling Time and PCLoadLetter like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Of their "hits" Spirits in the Material World is my favorite. But overall, it has to be:

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"Tattoo" is a great song: "our old man didn't like our appearance, he said that only women wear long hair ..." I would say "The Who Sell Out" is their best album.

Best song is tougher to say; hard to argue with "Won't Get Fooled Again." And their cover of "Summertime Blues" is also great.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  12. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

After some flip-flopping, I’m going with the obvious choice for Bonnie Raitt

Draft saved Draft deleted