1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best phone call/compliment you ever received

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Compliments don't get much better than that. Congrats.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I used to write a lot of "Dead Guy" columns. Some papers call them an "appreciation."

I really enjoyed that, even though sometimes I would get emotional when I was writing them.

Someone mentioned something similar on another thread, but when the "Mother of Wrestling" at our one of our local powerhouses died, I went to the wake because her son (whop coached there) was a friend, and the column was sitting, framed in the coffin. I lost it.

Another was the guy who was the recreation director at the local center for the mentally retarded (back where the state had "institutions" for them). I got some great feedback, but what really floored me was that years later, I got a letter from his son, who had not responded at the time, saying that now that he had his own kid, he really understood how important the column had been to him.

The son went on to become a highly respected and highly respected coach and won state titles. The grandson went on to be an all-state player. I know the grandfather would have been proud.

(Yes, for those who know me, it was the Jack O'Keefe column)

Draft saved Draft deleted