1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best movie of the year... I still can't believe it...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 15, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Presidents promise. Congress writes the laws. That's where you need to agitate for change, Junkie.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Moore is on Letterman right now.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

The problem with health care is that fat guys like Michael Moore are clogging the line at the proctologist's office, which pushes up the price for a nice probing. As a result, guys like me are forced to resort to back-alley rectum inspections.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I currently work for a health insurance company, but in its government administrative contracting side. One of the main reasons I took the job was for the benefits.

Having said that, I can tell you it's not just the insurance companies that are to blame. If you get a chance, go to OpenSecrets.org and check out the lobbying section. Of the 11 biggest lobbying companies/organizations, five have healthcare connections (AMA, Amer. Hospital Assn., AARP, Pharmaceutical Mfrs, Blue Cross/Blue Shields). The No. 1 firm is the US Chamber, which I'm sure does some healthcare lobbying on behalf of its members too. In all, since 1998, more than $600 million has been spent just on lobbying lawmakers in DC about healthcare issues.

What if that money was invested in R&D? Where would we be now? Obviously, that's a simplistic question. Perhaps too simplistic for this discussion, but the point is the same: too much money is not being spent appropriately.

My personal preference -- let's expand Medicare to cover all individuals and place an federal tax on cigarettes, alcohol and "unhealthy" foods to cover the costs. Defining unhealthy foods would be tricky, but it's a way of funding health care without hurting the healthy.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

??? So basically you're saying that unless you can single-handedly do something about a problem you shouldn't "bitch" about it? The fact that this movie will bring this issue to the attention of millions who have no idea how bad it is might not qualify as doing something to you, but how can you consider it a bad thing? He may not be able to take over the health care system in this country (seems like an awful lot to put on one civilian) but spreading awareness about it isn't the worst thing to "do" at least not in my book.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Just saw it.

The film will rock your beliefs of the American way. And this goes way beyond health care.

I was a blubbering mess by the end. They were tears of despair and I had a hard time shutting them off.

I won't make a gross judgment about where this film sits in the great pantheon of documentary greats, but I truly believe this may be the catalyst we've all have been looking for.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I can't wait to see this movie and become despondent and enraged at the American health care system.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know it's too much to realistically hope that as many people see this as saw Fahrenheit 9/11, but if enough people did, maybe there would be enough outrage to do something about it...

I have what is supposed to be very good health insurance and when I had to have major surgery a few years back, I spent the days before and the days after my surgery fighting with insurance carriers.

My mother in law is doing the same thing right now and it pisses me off to no end.

Again, tremendous film. I hope everybody sees it. It's refreshing to see this side of Moore again when you actually think he's fighting for the less fortunate rather than for his own self-promotion...

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mizzou, was this better even than Hostel II? :D

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's probably more disturbing...

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think it is laughable when people fear-monger about socialized medicine when they don't realize how much money is spent on health insurance right now. How many people pay more in state and fed taxes each month compared to their health care?

Draft saved Draft deleted