1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 3, 2007.

1. Freddie Sanchez's performance last season for the Pirates was no fluke.

He'll hit over .300 again this year and will be close to 200 hits. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Sanchez also have a club foot or some such foot deformity?

The Red Sox made a huge mistake in trading him (Theo Epstein's first major mistake).

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say fluke, but I don't think he's going to win another batting title, either.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm sure this is being discussed somewhere on the board, but how bad does Anaheim's investment in Lil' Sarge look now?

4. There are so many different directions to go with this. But I can't pick one. Someone help me out here.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hell it was horrendously bad at the time. Now? Teeheehee. Artie is hoping really really hard that Vlad's back doesn't give out. Between those two and Colon's rotator cuff, they're playing with fire.

6. What makes it worse is right now the crop of free-agent centerfielders next offseason include Andruw Jones, Ichiro, Torii Hunter and Aaron Rowand. That money they spent on Matthews Jr. would have been much better spent on any of those players. The Angel's could have went with one more season of Erstad or Chone Figgins in CF and have been much better off. Stupid signing when they did it, stupid now and stupid 9 months from now.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'll never understand why teams continue to overpay for PROVEN mediocre talent.

8. I agree it was pretty stupid. But at least the Angels can claim they've won more World Series titles in the past five years than the Yankees, which makes me smile. :D

9. Flying Headbutt

Especially when they have one, good year, that by all indications was a total aberration.

10. Here's a question - Carlos Delgado has had 10-straight seasons with 30 or more HR. He'll be 35 this season and has 407 career HR. However, he's never led the league in HR and has led in RBI only once. Potentially Delgado could get to 500 HR and yet be the first guy with no steroids rumors associated with him to not make it into the HoF.

Do any of you see Delgado as a Hall of Fame player?

11. If Fred McGriff isn't in the HOF, Delgado shouldn't be. They've essentially been the same player, and neither has been linked to steroids.

12. Flying Headbutt

Can't say I do. Good player. Really good hitter. But there wasn't anything about him that really stuck out about him where I said he's among the most elite of all great players.

Draft saved Draft deleted