1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Baseball Thread Titled IX - play fair

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Overrated, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Casty, I am not a Mets fan, but I look at it this way: In order for the Mets to be fearful of a first round exit, there would need to be a legitimate contender to knock them out.

You have division leaders St Louis and San Diego. Then you have the Wild Card leaders Arizona, Cincinnati, Los Angeles, Colorado and San Francisco. Only if the Wild Card comes out of the East do the Mets risk playing SD or StL, and it is most likely SD.

If the Mets were in the AL, where line-ups are stacked, I could see the concern over Wagner. However, none of those NL teams should concern the Mets in the first round of the playoffs.

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

That is a good point, Pastor. (Why do I feel like blessing myself when I write that?)

Anyway, the NL is so bad nowadays that Wagner is as good as any closer in the same position, expect maybe Isringhausen.
    And what that means is it figures to be a competitive NL playoffs. Then, you can cancel the World Series because we know what league will win that.

(Or do we?)

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Anybody have any idea which team put in the successful claim for Andruw Jones? Not that he'll be traded. Not even Buster Olney seems to know.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I've heard rumblings that it was Milwaukee, but no clear confirmation on that.

Overrated, it is confirmed that Andrew Miller is signed, sealed and delivered.

Miller signs

It's a major league contract for more than Hochevar got. And supposedly there is a September callup planned.

Kid must be pretty good if they're willing to burn an option year with a September callup.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Great work, Hank! I can't believe how quickly that got done and I'm floored about the Sept. callup. Have the Tigers ever done that before?

6. Hank_Scorpio

Here's the link to Jason Beck, the Tigers writer for MLB.com.

http://beck.mlblogs.com/beck/2006/08/miller_signed.html

Miller signed
    For those who haven't seen it yet, the Tigers signed their first-round draft pick, Andrew Miller. The four-year Major League contract is worth more than what Luke Hochevar signed for the other day, acccording to sources, and includes a September call-up.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Not to my knowledge.

I've heard he has a 97 MPH fastball and a biting slider (like Liriano's).

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Is Mike Lowell hurt? I noticed he isn't in the lineup tonight and Alex Cora is playing 3B.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I say for the 1,000th time this year ... why, why, oh why does anyone throw the first pitch to Francouer anywhere near the plate?

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Utley's 0-4 and will be lucky to get another shot.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Craig Monroe is the poor man's David Ortiz.

Okay, so he's not.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

If by lucky you mean Phils only need to get one guy on base in the last two innings, you are correct.

Edit: Victorino gets on leading off the 8th. If he manages not to get doubled off, Utley gets another AB.

Draft saved Draft deleted