1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Baseball Hall Ballot Newbies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Here are the latest to be added to the ballot this year:

Brady Anderson, Rod Beck, Shawon Dunston, Chuck Finley, Travis Fryman, David Justice, Chuck Knoblauch, Robb Nen, Tim Raines, Jose Rijo and Todd Stottlemyre.

The five-year wait was lifted for Beck.

I can see Raines, Justice, Knoblauch and Nen getting enough votes to stay on the ballot with only Raines deserving to.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My ballot:

Brady Anderson, Rod Beck, Shawon Dunston, Chuck Finley, Travis Fryman, David Justice, Chuck Knoblauch, Robb Nen, Tim Raines, Jose Rijo and Todd Stottlemyre.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You could argue that Raines is the only one in that group that deserves consideration. I always liked Justice, but no way does he deserve to be in the HOF.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Raines definitely belongs. Criminally underrated.

It amuses me that the 5-year wait was lifted for Beck. Somewhere in heaven, Beck is throwing back a Hamm's with a grin on his face flipping off baseball for a "tribute" that is likely to end in his getting an obligatory vote or two from a writer he was friendly with.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Talk about a weak first ballot listing. Agreed on Raines, though. He's the only legit one in my mind.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Good news for Goose Gossage and Jim Rice

7. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Yep. Raines had about 10 seasons better than Jimmy Rollins' "MVP" season.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Exactly. If they're going to get in, this is the year.

Raines is the only one worth a second look, though he won't get in on this try -- if at all. Really, the only thing that sticks out on his resume is his stolen-base total: 808. Raines had a .294 average, 2,605 hits and is a seven-time All-Star, so he might get in eventually. I just don't think this is his year.

The list is short, but of the 10 players in big-league history with at least 700 steals, four are not in the Hall -- though Henderson will be when he's eligible.

1. Rickey Henderson, 1406
    2. Lou Brock, 938
    3. Billy Hamilton, 912
    4. Ty Cobb, 892
    5. Tim Raines, 808
    6. Vince Coleman, 752
    7. Eddie Collins, 744
    8. Arlie Latham, 739
    9. Max Carey, 738
    10. Honus Wagner, 722

9. Word.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Don't forget Bert, dammit!

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've been arguing him since fucking high school. I hope that debate ends in January.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My first thoughts, too.

And like Bubbler said, Raines is criminally underrated. You see Coleman's name there, right under Raines on the stolen base list, and you might think they had similar careers because they were similar players. Not even close. Coleman racked up more than half of his career SB total in his first four seasons, then flamed out. Never played close to a full season after he was 26 years old. Raines was productive into his mid-30s (a superb table-setter for the AL West champ White Sox in 1993, and a solid off-the-bench guy for the WS champ Yankees in '96). But he might share the same fate as his fellow hinterlander in Montreal, Andre Dawson, who deserves better, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted