1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ballad of Jayne

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Sep 21, 2008.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

One of these things is not like the others.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be surprised if there are any of the 80s metal era bands that I haven't seen. I grew up a short drive from Mountain View Amphitheater, which is where they have just about every festival show in Northern California. One of the guys who used to run the place is a family friend, so I had free tickets to almost every show.

3. Mizzougrad96

Exactly.

Jackyl - Shit
    L.A. Guns - OK band
    Cinderella - Underrated band
    Tesla - Underrated

GNR - One of the best bands ever...

4. Yeah, Jackyl probably doesn't fit in that group ... but they're fun. Not exactly a "hair band," though.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Extreme falls in this category. They were excellent musicians who came to the fork in the road 1990-ish, and chose the hairy path — to their peril. Ditto Queensryche.

6. Mizzougrad96

I always hated Extreme, but they were very good musicians.

Queensryche is another band like LA Guns that had some great harder songs, but they're best known for a ballad (Silent Lucidity) which was last dance at my junior prom.

7. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

I actually think most Queensryche sounds nothing like the hair bands. I like the Hair bands and I like queensryche, but they're more like the Cult or a poor man's Dream Theater than they are like Poison.

I liked Extreme and actually played in a street hockey league against them. Saigon Kick was pretty awful too.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If Queensryche is a poor man's Dream Theater, what's Dream Theater?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A rich man's Queensryche, silly!

10. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Sounds somewhat like Queensryche, but more musically layered. Shit I sound like a Rush fan and I'm certainly not.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Like a middle-income Storm Troopers of Death?

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No way. SOD was just an obnoxious (and entertaining) outlet of loudness for Anthrax. They make no claims to musical complexity or creativity.

Draft saved Draft deleted