1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ballad of Jayne

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Loved it. It was one of those songs that got cranked up when me and the boys started getting into the booze on a Friday or Saturday night. It remains on my 25-song "(Fraternity) Songs" iPod playlist, and was a big hit this summer when my core group all got together.

2. Best Jackyl song: "She Loves My Cock."

Real best Jackyl song: "Locked and Loaded."

Saw Jackyl in concert once at a small club back in the late '90s. To this day, my friend swears his hat lifted off his head during the first song.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Their first album with "Electric Gypsy" and "Sex Action" on it was far better than the "Ballad of Jayne," which was also pretty good...

I saw L.A. Guns open for Tesla in Mountain View during my sophomore year of high school.

4. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Saly I've seen many of of the 80s hair bands in concert. Faster Pussycat (opening for Whitesnake) was by far the worst.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

L.A. Guns is no Enuff Z'nuff

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, all you BYH-stalking fresca heads suck. I can't tell who anyone is by looking at their sidesaddle now. Now I have to read your frickin' screen names. This is bullshit.

7. Mizzougrad96

I'll see your Faster Pussycat (opening for Motley Crue) and raise you a Britny Fox (opening for Kix and Poison). :)

8. We can all laugh, but I say this as a bit of a rock snob - Jackyl, GnR, Tesla, L.A. Guns, Cinderella and a few others were not the no-talent assclown relics of the late 1980s that a lot of people like to saddle them with, in an effort to apply order and inevitability to the Nirvana/grunge narrative.

Some of those bands could play, write and sing.

Not to sound like an old codger, because I like a lot of new stuff, but there are plenty of days when I'm stuck listening to Thom Yorke sing over computer-crunched keyboard riffs or other such nonsense that calls itself "rock" today that I definitely long for Tom Keifer or Jesse James Dupree to tear it up. Today's 18-24 demo is missing out.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, there is middle ground, because I think both GnR and Radiohead are ridiculously brilliant.

I like to crank up Bonham's "Wait For You" when it plays on the Boneyard.

10. Mizzougrad96

Did you just lump Guns N Roses with Jackyl?

I'll disagree on Jackyl. I saw them open for Aerosmith and while they were entertaining in concert for 20 minutes as they chainsaw something to pieces, musically, they were pretty awful.

Trixter, Bullet Boys, Stryper, Britny Fox, Faster Pussycat, Love/Hate, Firehouse were awful...

I saw Cinderella countless times in concert (almost always opening for someone like Bon Jovi, Skid Row or Poison) and they always put on a good show.

11. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I would consider both bands among my favorites.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Ah, their version is cool. That song was one of the few reasons I bought Elektra's 40th Anniversary 4 cassette set. I remember that cover, Metallica's Stone Cold Crazy and The Cure's Hello, I Love You. 4 cassettes and I can only remember 3 songs. Sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted