1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atlantic Cares About Rich White People

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by justgladtobehere, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

wow

We decided to assign Barrett this freelance story in part because more than two decades separated her from her journalistic malpractice at The New Republic and because in recent years her work has appeared in reputable magazines. We took into consideration the argument that Barrett deserved a second chance to write feature stories such as this one. We were wrong to make this assignment, however. It reflects poor judgment on our part, and we regret our decision.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Might as well have condensed the Editor's note to: "Note to readers: You can't believe a damn thing written below. We regret publishing."

Or better yet, just remove the article.

3. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

"We were wrong to make this assignment" to bookend a 12-graf editor's note. But the piece is still up???? Clicks, baby!

playthrough and sgreenwell like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I just ran up on that article, read the current editor's note, and came here. I wasn't disappointed.

Wow. Just wow.

I thought the Wemple article was pretty good.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    sgreenwell likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I never looked at the byline when I read the story, and I didn't look after Wemple's piece, so I didn't know it was originally published under Ruth S. Barrett, not Ruth Shalit. The byline would have been meaningless to me, anyhow.

One small side note is that apparently her husband's step dad is Ed Klein, whose work (political hatchet job books) has been criticized for anonymous quotes that many people have found suspect, too.

Klein also was a long-time editor of the NY Times magazine, which now has me wondering if Ruth Shalit was able to work her way back because she has stayed part of a little incestuous world in which who she knew and went to parties with overcame her past.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

What's next, a feature from Jayson Blair??? :eek:

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Every time this happens, our jobs get harder.

Fuck.

Smallpotatoes and Patchen like this.
  10. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

Idiots.

Draft saved Draft deleted