1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I mean, who saw the NBA was canceling games and decided to deep six their Athletic subscription right away? I assume many people are locked into annual deals.

I’m sure it played hell with the predicted rate of new subs, though. Guess that’s the obvious problem.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I actually renewed during the crisis.

superhater likes this.
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Comes back to the reality its survival was always based on optimism and best-case scenarios. As long as there was an economy and people had disposable income and there were sports to read about, people would subscribe. There was no Plan B for what would happen if the economy cratered. Recognizing nothing goes up in a straight line forever, and American prosperity was on borrowed time with a drugged-up sociopath in the White House, there shouldn't have been expansion into audio and video and they should have moved more conservatively with actual editorial hires. Que sera sera, the tech bros will skate to another gig while sportswriting takes another irrecoverable blow.

Pilot likes this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I wish the best to all affected.

This is a minefield and you just have to keep walking, producing good work and hoping for a good set of outcomes.

Tweener likes this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't have an Athletic sub, so - Do they have display advertising, or is it just subscription fees? At least when it comes to the podcasts I listen to, I've definitely noticed that they seem to be running lower-tier ads during the pandemic. Traffic has to be down right now as well, so that plus less advertisers could be a decent hit to their revenue stream.

I'd also add - Close to a decade ago, I jumped from a newspaper to a Patch.com site. I only lasted at Patch for about 18 months, but between the salary and the bonuses, I still pulled in around 3x what I would have at the newspaper I was at, if I stayed there. It wouldn't surprise me if something similar is at play with The Athletic. And, given the state of newspapers even before the pandemic, I don't think there is any guarantee that any of them would have kept their positions. It isn't like any of them were giving up guaranteed, lifetime newspaper jobs to sign-up with a start-up.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Does this mean I'll get 8% off of my $59.99 a year?

I enjoy the site but I do wade through a bunch of articles that I don't care about -- the 25 greatest moments of Ole Miss football, the five best Arizona pro sports uniforms.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Your ability to detect a liberal/progressive slant in a publication is astounding. Could you provide an example of liberal/progressive group think affecting the transaction wires?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Vox slashing people today too.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I bet the Athletic gets some big donations soon. That's not a bad model. Look for millionaires to donate.

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

These tech bros are a little more on the ball than the AOL idiot who tried running Patch, but as you noted, it's the same basic equation for the writers--especially the early hires, who got long-term contracts (I believe three years was the standard) at more than they were making at papers. I know a couple people from union shops who jumped there. So make six figures for three years, bank as much as you can and be ready for today.

Tweener and sgreenwell like this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Donations, huh?

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Heard so many good things about Huguenin I wish I knew him. George Richards and Andre Fernandez are friends and have been for half my life. Great people, great writers. If I was starting a team, I'd definitely have those two on the roster.

Liut, PMO and MileHigh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted