1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember the ‘94 Mets were coming off the two crappy years and were about to end spring training with essentially nobody to play first base and shortstop. Then they got David Segui and Jose Vizcaino around the same time for basically nothing and the tabs celebrated the acquisitions as the Mets getting two guys who had actually played in the majors.

That’s how bad the Mets were in the early 90s.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

And then Rico Brogna, whom they got for a song, had a great month before the strike and the Mets were three under .500 when play stopped and it was an Al Michaels in Lake Placid moment.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Tourists grab the caps when the visit NY. I have seen people wearing them on the Metro in Paris, too. It's a fashion accessory.

Aaron Judge told a story from when the Yankees and Red Sox were in London for their games last year. He was walking near the London Eye and saw a couple of people who had Yankees hats on, so he figured he'd surprise them. They had no idea who he was. It ended with an awkward, "I'm Aaron, great to meet you."

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hope has a coworker who wears an Astros hat when he's out and about in Bordeaux. She told me not only does he not know what the Astros are, he might not know what Houston is. He just likes the look.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wait until someone bangs a garbage can lid in his direction.

Maria, playthrough, wicked and 5 others like this.
  6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Maybe I’m seeing things, but I’m noticing more quick-hit gamers on Twitter feeds. Correct me if I’m wrong, please. I’m not sure if they update the link with a more thorough analysis later or that gets posted as a separate story?

8. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

I believe they've added a breaking element to their coverage that is outside the paywall.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They've been seduced. Not having to worry about "breaking" the free agent courtship of a third-rate offensive guard was one of the things that helped them make their pitch when poaching print reporters a couple of years ago.

wicked likes this.
  10. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

Maybe check out their breaking coverage before knocking it.

Sports Barf likes this.
  11. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

The Athletic stans on this thread are obnoxious. You wanna swing dicks with ESPN, and you want people to pay for your shit, you gotta break news, not write 2000-word stories about the quality of the hot dogs in the Montreal Forum press box.

But be careful criticizing anything The Athletic does on this thread, you’ll get called out for being a hater that’s just jealous they don’t work there.

Writer and Woody Long like this.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

All the years you've posted here, and you still come across like a 12 year old.

Tarheel316, JC, HanSenSE and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted