1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

How far did the boots one get? That one was in the abby normal category.

2. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Would The Athletic ever consider starting a site in Iowa or Nebraska? Or maybe Boise or Spokane?

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think if the Athletic is to succeed it will need to add writers in palces like Nebraska and Idaho. Populations are smaller but costs are lower.

Let's use Nebraska as an example. How many staffers would you need to cover teams in Nebraska. I would think three. Two to cover the University of Nebraska and one for Creighton basketball. I don't think jobs in Omaha would be be big money gigs but let's say that total costs are 100K each, or 300K total.

So at 60 bucks a subscription you need 5,000 subscribers. Nebraska has about 770,000 households so you need to add about 5,000 subscribers to pay for the extra help. That is less than one percent of Nebraska households. And I think that the Athletic needs to get to at least a one percent level of penetration, or 1.4 million subscribers to make it.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Why is it that when The Athletic poaches a reporter, suddenly a newspaper editor, for the first time, cannot just go out and immediately find someone just as good and just as cheap?

The notion that a reporter can be easily replaced has been around for years, so working conditions and wages didn't have to improve. Now reporters are leaving in droves for something that appears to be better, and some newspaper editors evidently can't stand it. That's funny.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The loss of institutional knowledge is bad for newspapers and their websites. But, theoretically, The Athletic should be helping create new jobs, or rather fill vacated jobs, across the industry.

Will all be filled? Sadly, no. But many will. another reason to root for The Athletic to succeed.

Tweener and Writer like this.
  7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Asking for a friend?

8. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

9. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

The Atlantic? The Athletic? Are they merging?

PaperClip529 likes this.
  10. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Haven't had my coffee yet. ;)

As The Crow Flies likes this.
  11. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

No worries. To be honest I did a double take too!

John B. Foster likes this.
  12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

But The Athletic doesn’t care about college sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted