1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's right. When I was out in Phoenix in January, the Republic's Suns coverage was just weird. They played at Denver, had the score in the paper, but the story was a feature on something completely unrelated and there was no mention of the game itself outside of the score. And this was in a final edition. Didn't Doug Haller have some hand in the ASU coverage too?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, all the recent bylines on ASU coverage seem to by Haller's.

The Suns coverage has been terrible since Paul Coro left. He wasn't the greatest writer but his reporting always seemed solid.

3. PCLoadLetter

An update - I am told The Athletic has hired Doug Haller, Scott Bordow and Jay Dieffenbach away from the Republic. Bordow will apparently do Cardinals coverage. Don't know about the other two.

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Jay was the pro sports editor. Wonder if he'll be an editor or writer for the Phoenix site.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Lost touch with a lot of the Arizona media, but I knew Coro from his time there on the Suns. Good dude. Thought Bordow was better as a columnist at the Tribune than as a beat writer, but you can't be picky about jobs when your paper shuts down. I think he'll be better on the Cardinals.

6. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

The Athletic won't rest until they've hired every last washed up newspaper reporter out there

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I see you're still waiting on your offer.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

ZING!

9. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Why would I want to work for a place that will be dead in the water in two years tops?

10. PCLoadLetter

I suspect that's why a lot of these guys are jumping to The Athletic.

11. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

You sure have changed your tune about Boston Sports Journal huh

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I’m sure you have turned them down. I bet you are a hot commodity.

Draft saved Draft deleted