1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Might have to give this a try. But if I do, I'm not wasting my time with SBNation or The Ringer anymore. There's only so much reading time.

2. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

What a spending spree. Either this thing is going to be a smash hit, or crash nose first into a mountain.

wicked, HanSenSE and Tweener like this.
  3. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

PC Nation is overrated anyways

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How long did Yahoo's stable of sportwriting superstars last?

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I sent them a pitch a few weeks ago and got no response, so I pitched the piece to another MLB-centric site and it got placed. I don't mind rejection slips, it's part of the racket. But not responding to a half page pitch is pretty damn unprofessional.

Tweener likes this.
  6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I might have to look into St. Louis now with Miklasz. I know he has his detractors, but the P-D sports section was stronger with Bernie's columns and opinion. I do think Jose and Ben are doing a good job...

7. BaseballGuy1

BaseballGuy1 New Member

I'm curious to find out how much these writers are getting paid and how competitive it is with the gigs they're leaving.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Honestly, when I signed up for The Athletic, I had no idea they'd be going this big. It was a few cities and cost a couple bucks a month. I'm getting more national coverage than I ever expected. I know they'll be raising prices soon, but they've delivered more than what I signed up for.

9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

What are you getting there that you can't get elsewhere? Honest question.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Nothing, I suppose. I just don't have time to go skipping around the internet anymore to piece together coverage. I want my sports page back, the kind I used to work for, where I go one place and get everything in one spot.

I'm a Cleveland fan. Just having Travis Sawchik and Jason Lloyd write about my favorite teams alone is worth the price of admission. Between national writers like Jason Stark, Ken Rosenthal, Peter Gammons, Stewart Mandel, I feel like I'm reading ESPN from the early 2000s. I loved ESPN.com in the early 2000s. There are other writers I just randomly like to read, like Eric Koreen and C. Trent Rosecrans, even if I don't have much interest in what he's writing about.

It just reminds me of reading a newspaper from 25 years ago. Or a website 15 years ago. No one is tricking me into clicking a headline. The app works flawlessly. I don't have to sift through rote gamers. The writing is at the forefront. That's worth $5 a month to me.

Do I think it's going to last? No. But I like they're giving it a shot.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Joe Williams, CD Boogie and Tweener like this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree. What would be kind of interesting is if they tried to sell lifetime subscriptions, like satellite radio did many years ago. For all of you who have paid $30-$40 for the first year and are looking at $60 or so every subsequent year, what if The Athletic came back to you and offered a lifetime pass for $200? Assuming you don't need that cash now to pay rent or your bookie or something, would you do it?

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t give them $200 for a lifetime subscription. That to me would come off as desperate. Like a kickstarter for a doomed venture.

Draft saved Draft deleted