1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The soccer gig is ideal for Scott French.

2. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Good luck getting Americans to read MLS coverage

3. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

I know people who work at a paper with an MLS team in city. They cover the hell out of the team, and they say they’re shocked whenever a story on them gets more than 200 clicks. Soccer people talk a big game about how hungry the public is for daily coverage in this country. When it’s actually delivered to them, it’s....crickets

wicked likes this.
  4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Agreed!

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

My understanding is that soccer fans here and abroad take many forms of soccer seriously, but -- as you suggest -- not MLS.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I read a decent amount about EPL teams and the other top European clubs, but I read pretty much zero about MLS. The same way I might read about MLB but pretty much zero about any minor league teams.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is a weekly Timbers Talk show out this way - I don't know how you fill an hour, let along multiple hours. Nothing against the game - I don't think it is a sport where game coverage would be widely read. True fans would watch it live (or taped) and reading about soccer is like reading about art or music. I do think if you're lucky enough to be in an area with a lot of fans you can focus on the culture of the sport.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Coverage of an MLS team in one particular city might not garner much demand among readers of one particular local paper.

That doesn't mean a national website that covers soccer comprehensively -- MLS, international leagues, World Cup, etc. -- doesn't have an audience out there. I have no idea if that audience exists. But it might. I'd guess the dearth of one-stop coverage (I'd imagine that those fans have to turn to British newspapers online) in the U.S. could mean that it will only require a relatively niche audience of people each ponying up their $30 or $40 a year in order for it to pay for them.

The flip side is that this is something I know little about. Is there already a soccer news website that has any amount of popularity? If there is an audience, I find it hard to believe no one was servicing it, even if they are doing a poor job of it.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

George Quraishi founded and edited Howler magazine - arguably the best soccer magazine in America. He's a great get for them.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

To Ragu’s point, I thought SI.com did with Grant Wahl.

The Revolution have a postgame show that has analysis and takes calls. I think it’s the same five people who call in every week.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Contrary to its name, MLS is strictly a minor league.

12. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Boston Sports Journal has two Revolution writers now. That’ll show The Athletic they mean business!

Draft saved Draft deleted