1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yeah it does. People can possibly be mean spirited and can be possibly be a kiss-ass. But when someone
    has a direct financial stake involved that's a clear conflict of interest. That's probably why it's always been
    media who have voted for the awards in every sport.

2. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

If the writers are just gonna stick their finger in the wind and go “well I’ll just vote for whoever has the highest WAR” they shouldn’t be allowed to vote. Grow the fuck up and learn baseball

3. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

If you are the one not voting for someone whom 29 others did, then yes, I think you do need to explain how you came to a certain conclusion. Writers can be petty and hold grudges, too.

It’s been said before, but I think most of us believe that journalists should be transparent anyway, so I don’t get why anyone would want that to be done in secret. Most voting lists are usually leaked anyway.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You mean like voting for the guy with the most RBI or most wins?

5. Sports Barf

Like when Miguel Cabrera hit the first triple crown in 45 years and Keith Law freaked out tsk-tsking the entire world about how anybody who votes Cabrera MVP over a Trout is a mongoloid who can’t be trusted with sharp objects. Because of some Byzantine advanced metric. These people are parasites

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agree that sports writers shouldn't vote on awards carrying performance bonuses for active players.

I'm also pretty convinced we shouldn't vote for Halls of Fame, either.

And I say this as someone with a vote for a hall of fame.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Tweener likes this.
  7. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Another NBA writer is let go:

Their firing practices strike me as really weird, and really weirdly timed. Would love to know the decision-making behind some of these moves.

Tweener and Writer like this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I can't speak to this, but it might have something to do with the timing of when they were hired and the duration of their contracts.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Keith Law was right.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How many different directions can an NBA beat go?

I feel bad for every one of these folks when they leave, because they had to write that stultifying arrival email, and now they have to write a departure email.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

hey
    Why would they not offer Richardson a new contract? Isn't he one of the best NBA writers period? Why is he being let loose?

12. Sports Barf

It’s not about whether or not he is right, it’s that everyone who disagrees with him has to be this uncultured Neanderthal

Draft saved Draft deleted