1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Peter Thiel made a $500,000 "donation" to Mark Zuckerberg in 2004 when Facebook was cash strapped and few other people were interested in funding his business. That "donation" is now worth several billion dollars.

That is the thing about young companies. There are lots of skeptics when something is unproven, as you are skeptical about The Athletic. With most new businesses, that skepticism turns out to be justified. If marketable ideas were easy to come up with, and it was easy to execute and make an idea into a profitable business, making money would be really easy. Investors are trying to profit. They aren't making donations. They are trying to find the businesses where the skeptics have it wrong. When you buy a stake in a company during that "skeptics" phase early on, the cost of an investment is low. The business isn't worth much yet. If the business succeeds, the cost of a stake goes up -- there are fewer skeptics once people see it working. This is the nature of investing in a start up. You are trying to predict success before it is evident to a lot of people. It means high risk of losing your money or not getting any return on your investment. ...but potentially high reward.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Facebook also had to do pernicious things to make a lot of its money.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Apart from any considerations of evil, the failure rate for even well-capitalized internet startups is pretty high.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Why would you thing that investors would be 'donating' money, rather than, say, 'investing' money? Or do you not know the difference in the meaning of the words? Again, quit being disingenuous.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Never said I knew what I was talking about, sir. Sorry, my apologies

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Me too. Thanks for the welcome back, Lancey. I've just been busy. Fredrick is a little worried about possibly getting laid off in the holiday season. That seems to be the trend. The Athletic is interesting, cause I just don't sense it's a "must read" hence I wonder about its future. Again, I could be mistaken. I have nothing against it. It employs a lot of great great sports people, some of my friends.

7. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is The Athletic out of business yet?

9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Not by a longshot.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Mrs. Bedard said here they were spending too much money. It must be true.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"unintentional" ... uh-huh, sure. Now tell us the real story.

12. Writer

Writer Member

I know The Athletic isn't a traditional news outlet, but one thing that annoys me is how slow the writers are to post content. I just looked and they have nothing about the Bears loss and nothing about Tom Thibodeau getting fired. They are probably writing fluff pieces about both situations...

Draft saved Draft deleted