1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I honestly think Gregg has been at that level for a while. He’s one of few local columnists I read a few times a week despite having no ties to that market or its teams. He’s the must-read in Indy, IMO.

Tweener likes this.
  2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I wouldn't dispute that; just haven't read him that much in Indianapolis.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not over Kravitz. Not to say there can't be more than one, but Kravitz is the voice of Indy.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I would agree, though kind of an unfair comparison to Doyel for "Indy's best" because Kravitz had a 15-year head start. I think Doyel does a little bit better job of going statewide and unearthing stories far off the big beats. Kravitz is still the first read for me after a Colts/Pacers/IU game.

Now the question is how many people will follow him to The Athletic. I bet his audience didn't dip too much when he jumped from the paper to local TV, since he went to the No. 1 station and was promoted well. I know I'm thrilled as a subscriber, but I wonder how well the site will do in this market.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Doyel had a 15-year head start, but he & Kravitz have different strengths, as playthrough pointed out. Doyel is a fantastic feature writer and does a tremendous job telling the stories nobody else even thinks to tell. Kravitz is a strong opinion voice who is a must-read after a big event. Indy is fortunate to have two who complement each other very well.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. Writer

Writer Member

I was looking at the staff for my state's coverage and I noticed they had people listed as staff writers and the two baseball writers as contributors. What's the difference do you guys think? Just curious.

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Full-time vs part-time.

9. Writer

Writer Member

That's what I figure. Surprised they'd have part-time people on a baseball beat.

10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

11. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Would The Athletic ever consider buying a property such as 538 or Undefeated off ESPN’s hands? Also think The Athletic should have a writer based in Missoula

12. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Sarcasm?

Draft saved Draft deleted