1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic ... any thoughts ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by icoverbucks, Apr 18, 2017.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Something more detailed than 'just do better' would be helpful.

cjericho likes this.
  2. I'll just leave this here, too ... a recent post from the website I'm citing.

"Well, self-congratulatory as it might come across, our subscriptions being as inexpensive as they are — $3.99 for month-by-month, $29.99 at the annual rate, $66 for the three-year — is an actual topic that’s commonly raised from the subscribers themselves. We’re asked about it all the time, generally out of concern. They look around at other online publications, see their prices, look at the quality and quantity offered here, and wonder why we aren’t charging more.
    The city’s only surviving newspaper, for example, charges $6.50 every four weeks for a sports-only subscription to its online content. I’ll go so far as to include the link if you don’t believe me. And they offer no option to get a lower rate by buying further into the future. It’s $6.50 every four weeks, not a penny less."

Saturday Site Stuff: Why is a subscription so inexpensive? - DKPittsburghSports.com

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Isn't the Post one of the few that hasn't given up? I forgot who owns it but I recall reading something about how the Post added staff recently and pages, etc. So the Post doesn't count. 99 percent of the papers have given up; we're talking about those.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Wow in reading that article, I was impressed at the professional tone taken by the author. Hmmm no Gannett buzzwords, no bullshit just real people talk. Hmmm they've got almost 40,000 subscribers?? I thought nobody would pay for online content, the mantra of the snake oil salesmen who ruined the newspaper business by giving it all away for free. Hmmm, what do you know it alls say now? This company has sold 40000 subscriptions. Why? Because the readers trust these veteran reporters, respect their takes and want to read their coverage. Are all these writers for this Pittsburgh website folks who were laid off by clueless newspapers who have taken so much delight in laying off everybody over 40?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I know someone who was in contact with them recently. He didn't expect to take them seriously, but he told me whoever spoke to him made a great offer and was an excellent pitchman.

I'm a subscriber. They've hired some good reporters. If you are into a mix of analytics and reporting, there's lots for you. In the few months I've been aboard, they've added Cleveland, Detroit and the San Francisco area. There are rumours of Florida. I also heard about New York, but some guys disputed that as the area remains well-covered.

I don't know enough about the business model to understand if it will work. But I am rooting for them.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A fellow named Jeff Bezos owns the Washington Post.

It isn't a matter of "giving up" or "not giving up." The news business is like just about everything else in a supply and demand world. In the aftermath of the election, there was a surge in demand from a niche but substantial enough group of people, looking for publications (online largely) that speak truth to power.

The Washington Post and New York Times have been the biggest beneficiaries. The Times more than the Post, even. If they weren't delivering what those consumers want -- mostly solid investigative journalism geared toward politics -- the demand wouldn't be there. They have delivered apparently, because their subscriptions (and revenues) have surged. In order to produce that kind of journalism, they have needed the resources to deliver what those readers want. So yeah, the Washington Post has beefed up in manpower over the last half year to a year.

Of course the Washington Post counts. The reason most of the industry is failing has nothing to do with one publication trying, while the others have "given up." It's that there is limited demand for what newspapers offer, much less than there used to be. We are oversupplied. That doesn't mean what the Washington Post offers is invalid. It means that in a VERY competitive marketplace, the Washington Post is competing really well to supply the demand that exists.

Hermes likes this.
  8. AD

AD Active Member

but let's be clear here: the post is thriving because Bezos decided to give it more "runway" -- i.e. money, despite losses and no conceivable long-term future for newsprint in sight. what hasn't been said is what i've been sensing since the election: that bezos has decided to extend his "runway" indefinitely. i think he's fallen in love with his new place in the community firmament, likes the idea of himself as a defender of the republic against trumpism; hence, that new, overcooked, melodramatic "democracy dies in darkness" motto. bezos has, in fact -- and without intention -- now become a newspaper owner in the mold of chandler and sulzberger: someone so rich that he can afford to spend money on journalism just because it makes him feel good. hell, it provides a nice conscience balm for all the retail tumult and job-churn he's caused via amazon.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure what you mean by losses. By all accounts, it's the exact opposite in the case of the the Washington Post. It is profitable.

You are right. Bezos injected $50 million into it in 2015 (according to his accounts), if that is the runway you are talking about.

But (this is going by the memo he sent to staff at the end of last year and numerous public statements he has made), that investment led to the newspaper being profitable last year, and it has now grown revenue in double digits each of the last three years That is kind of how capital expenditures work when you are successful. You invest money into your business, and if you do it well (i.e. -- invest to meet demand), the business earns you profits. I suspect you are right about Bezos romanticizing the role he can play as a media mogul. And I also suspect that he WOULD be the type of guy (kind of like Rupert Murdoch with some of his ventures) who would keep sinking money into something and take losses on it for some psychic benefit he gets from keeping it going. But in this case, if it is profitable (and why would he lie about that?), that isn't what is actually happening. It seems very likely that is the case, because the paid subscriber growth has been dramatic and you can extrapolate that the ad revenue has probably been as robust as he has said. That really is supply and demand at work. There was apparently demand for something and Bezos has figured out how to supply it. And it is proving (at least for the time being) to be a profitable endeavor.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I get a complimentary subscription thanks to my .edu email address (working for a university), which is a steal that I just recently found out about. But I also pay for the NYT, so I don't consider myself a complete freeloader.

11. AD

AD Active Member

that is the "runway", as he termed it, that i'm talking about. but, ragu, a question: if bezos has now come up with the magic formula of how to make print - or a journalism operation - profitable again, why isn't EVERY news/magazine organization racing to copy that model? i suspect it's because his numbers are cooked a bit or a lot -- or bolstered temporarily by trump mania -- and can't/won't transfer. i sure hope i'm wrong. but there seems to be no bezos contagion. why is that?

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Should newspapers fight for the end of net neutrality?

Draft saved Draft deleted