1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic ... any thoughts ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by icoverbucks, Apr 18, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you want to "pillage newspapers" and be the king, you're going to have to be everything to everybody. Like tapintoamerica said, you'll need a national columnist. Gotta have national college writers. I think they should also have national golf and auto racing writers (heaven knows there's a lot of those out there who could use a gig). And big takeout writers. Yes, even if they hire all of those then some readers will prefer other outlets' voices. That's competition. But if you want to be a national player long-term, I think you need to have a writer on everything. Or maybe I'm wrong.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Is it possible they're building up to that slowly with the local sites, rather than doing too much at the start?

3. Skylar

Skylar New Member

When I heard KenPom was headed there I wanted to subscribe even more because I figured he would have some good insight for stuff like that. I read a few things I liked, but overall I'm underwhelmed. I don't subscribe to his website, but it feels like the columns he writes for The Athletic are a little more auxiliary to what he does normally.

4. HanSenSE

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Just curious what you mean by "freebie?"

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Well let's break this down: The Athletic is a subscription based website where articles can be accessed after paying a subscription fee. A "freebie" is something available without cost. This column can be accessed by those who haven't paid for a subscription so ....

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Athletic's pillaging of BANG reminds me of this scene in Citizen Kane. Granted I doubt either BANG or TheAthletic have ever been accused of throwing gobs of money at anyone.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Athletic is totally throwing gobs of money at people. That’s why they’re going.

The question is what happens when the seed funding runs out and whether the operation can finance itself. But for now, it’s big raises for all.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Got it. I thought the writer meant the hire was a freebie. Meanwhile, save the snark for clever tweets.

MikeWachsman likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You assume I'm actually clever on Twitter

11. HanSenSE

Raiding BANG is obviously low-hanging fruit for Kawakami. Nearly every writer, save Vic Tafur (Raiders) and the Kevin Kurz (Sharks) have been from the Mercury News. And I think the A's beat is still open, and like in the case of Baggs, no reason to fill it until the winter meetings.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If The Athletic is throwing gobs of money to get BANGers to jump, I question their business savvy. A three-year-deal guaranteed with 4 percent bump would have probably been enough given the newspaper industry these days and BANG's cloudy future specifically.

Draft saved Draft deleted