1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ashes Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Jul 7, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

England may yet be saved from waiting too long to declare by getting themselves bowled out. Hooray?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm not feeling bad about this. The lead as I type this is 413, with four wickets down. Reasonably, you only need another 90, and if they're not bowled out, they'll declare at lunch tomorrow to give themselves five sessions to get the Australians out.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Lead's now over 500, as England are 300-5. Wouldn't be surprised to see them declare with a few overs left today, especially as the forecast for tomorrow doesn't look good.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Never mind that. Rain stops play for the day with England on 311 for 6, a lead of 521.

Declare first thing tomorrow?

5. RickStain

The TV commentators were indicating they might bat for a few minutes first, just to keep Australia from getting too comfortable preparing to bat at the beginning of the day.

I get all angsty about enough time to bowl out, but 180 overs (minus a few to start the day) should be more than enough.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh me, oh my. A declaration at the start, and Australia are 40 for 2. Surely only the rain can save the Aussies now.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The wicket they need most now is Ponting. If he goes, the game should be won.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And there it is, Broad gets Ponting to chop the ball onto his own stumps, third wicket down, and the game could be over today.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This is fairytale stuff for England.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Hussey has gone, at the hands of what sounds like a brilliant catch by Collingwood.

Clarke also got clipped on the helmet by Flintoff.

England hasn't defeated Australia at Lord's in 75 years.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Flintoff is blazing in right now, hitting 92 on the gun and causing all manner of trouble.

12. RickStain

I don't think a single English fan I talked to before this match expected them to win. Quite amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted