1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "artist" formerly known as Kanye West says....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Jan 27, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I fail to see the genius of Kanye West. The sooner he shuts up, the better.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Least. Surprising. Post. Ever.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's hard for me to believe that a man who makes a fool of himself everytime he opens his mouth is a "genius."
    Just like no football coach is a genius.

4. imjustagirl

I do disagree with you...but I was just saying you saying a rapper wasn't a genius was pretty much a given. :D

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

True, IJAG.
    But my larger point is far too many people who have a specific talent are refered to as geniuses when they most certainly aren't.

6. imjustagirl

I don't think anyone's calling him Einstein. But you can be a musical genius without being a "genius," you know?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't think he is a musical genius, either. I'm not sure what defines a musical genius.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

TURN THAT NOISE DOWN!!!

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Good idea, dog.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

That's being kind.

11. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

That is eminently fair.

There's a small group of "rappers" whose deft, intelligent and creative use of language reaches a realm of wordcraft and thought I consider exceptional.

They impress me (and impress a folksly brand of genius) in the same way that my favorite poets and authors do.

I do not subscribe to the school of thought that music without instruments inherently sucks, nor do I dismiss without consideration those who do hold that opinion.

But what someone like Mos Def does with language is far more impressive, difficult, complex and artistic than what people writing vampire novels do with it.

Genius? Maybe not.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I defy you to tell me which one of those two descriptors is inaccurate.

Draft saved Draft deleted