1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Art Of Spinning: Hey Congressman, Tell Me About Your Great Uncle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just_An_SID, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

In my line of work, I am used to having to take an incident and try to make it look as positive as possible. This guy has to win some kind of award:

Judy Wallman, a professional genealogy researcher in southern California , was doing some personal work on her own family tree. She discovered that Congressman Harry Reid's great-great uncle, Remus Reid, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Montana in 1889. Both Judy and Harry Reid share this common ancestor.

The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows in Montana territory:

On the back of the picture Judy obtained during her research is this inscription: 'Remus Reid, horse thief, sent to Montana Territorial Prison 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Montana Flyer six times. Caught by Pinkerton detectives, convicted and hanged in 1889.'

So Judy recently e-mailed Congressman Harry Reid for information about their great-great uncle.
    Harry Reid:

Believe it or not, Harry Reid's staff sent back the following biographical sketch for her genealogy research:
    "Remus Reid was a famous cowboy in the Montana Territory . His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad. Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad. In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889, Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honor when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed."

NOW THAT's how it's done, Folks!
    That's real POLITICAL SPIN

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

http://www.snopes.com/politics/humor/horsethief.asp

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Guess it's not as real as we thought.

Funny how it's always the Democrats who get picked on (at least among the American politicians).

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

There's plenty to go around on both sides. There are plenty of GOP targets in the snopes Politics file.

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I didn't even look at the party. . . probably should have assumed it was a urban legend.

Still, that is some creative writing.

6. Damn! You beat me to it.
    I smelled the bullshit from a mile away.

7. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Uncle Remus?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Where's cousin Butt-Head?

Draft saved Draft deleted