1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Appetizer ... or the Main Course ... of Things to Come?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Dec 8, 2013.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Coming soon to a casual dining establishment near you ... a table-mounted tablet that will automate the ordering process (and keep you entertained while you wait, if that's your thing):

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-12-03/applebees-is-now-serving-tablets

Chili's is already doing this with a rival product. Applebee's says this won't affect staffing levels. To quote the great Jim Bouton ... Surrrrrrrre.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Every time I walk into a Sheetz and punch up a sandwich and fries order on the computer screen and my changes and special requests come back perfect I wonder why McDonald's and Burger King haven't switched to it.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's punishment for going into Applebees

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, mixed feelings. If it helps get the order right, maybe not such a bad thing. Sometimes, a good waiter can improve the dining experience. I think it depends what type of restaurant it is. I wouldn't mind it at fast food places at all, if it gets the order right and helps speed things up. (Few things worse than having someone who doesn't understand English well take your order and screw it up.)

Within 5-10 years, I suspect you'll be able to place an order at McDonald's or Pizza Hut on your smart phone and press a button at the drive thru and have it handed to you by a robot --- after you insert your credit card in the slot, of course.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Been ordering fried chicken from Royal Farms for years using that system.

35 years ago, or so, in upstate Pa I recall a Bob's Big Boy type restaurant that had phones in the booths. When you were ready to order you picked up the phone and gave your order.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Will it look like this?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

There are a couple of places in Orlando with these; won't use 'em for the same reason I don't do self-service checkout at Home Depot or Lowe's. If I wanted to work there, I'd go fill out an application.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I hope this becomes the norm, at least at most fast food places, where nobody seems to be paying attention to a word you're saying as you order.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I used to feel that way as well but it pisses me off too much when I get stuck behind some idiot holding up the line at the register who either: A) Won't fucking shut up and let the cashier do his/her job B) Dicks around while trying to pay C) Bitches about the bill after it's been rung up.

Now I'd rather check myself out and get the hell out of the store as quickly as possible.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It must suck to be with trifectarich when he needs cash, and won't go to an ATM because he doesn't work for the bank.

And, when he sits in the line at the toll booth, to go to a manned booth, instead of dropping his change in the basket, or using E-Z Pass, it must really irritate his passengers.

And, of course, if he goes to New York City, he won't be able to ride the subway.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Chili's automatically charges you $1 to use it, but if you ask them to take the $1 off, they will.

Being able to pay at the table is pretty awesome.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

There's a joint here, one of those steakhouses where you can grill your own steak. I won't go. Because if I wanted to cook my own steak, I'd eat at home and part of going out to eat is the total experience of service, food and atmosphere.

Having a tablet on the table takes away from that experience.

Also, when I need cash I don't go to the ATM, what I normally do is get cash back from a trip to the grocery store or Walgreens.

Draft saved Draft deleted