1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Animal House" Culture With the Mavericks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 21, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Never underestimate the general cluelessness of some pro athletes. But in their defense, this looks like the incidents were in various departments away from them. It's not like the CEO was harassing a woman in accounting on the sideline during practice.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Lot of the radio talk show stuff I've heard about this tends to dwell on the team's Web site guy -- the one who was booked for beating up one girlfriend, then allegedly did the same two years to another (this one a Mavericks employee) -- more than the team president. To me, they're both bad but the guy at the top is the one who essentially traumatized female employees in general with the office culture he established. The domestic assaulter is the low-level staffer who was a threat if you were his girlfriend but he wasn't the head honcho. Sounded a bit, from what I heard, that the boss (Ussery?) was getting to slide a little.

And from what I'm hearing, Cuban had to know about both. For a long time.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Jerry Jones is flush.

Just saying.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

7. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a reach.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They'd have to be sure 'nuff mom jeans. The standard young woman going out on the town jeans? I don't know that you can do that, not in the time it takes to snap a few pictures.

Generally I believe the women, but this one is difficult for me to buy.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

She told people immediately. She went to police. She never went for publicity and never tried to get a dime out of Cuban. The photos, while not conclusive, apparently suggest he may have been digging around down there.

Yes, the accusation is a... physically difficult one? But she seems to have no reason whatsoever to make it up.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't know that I disagree with that. I really don't know more than a quick skim of the link. Basically, I just thought to myself how physically difficult to do it sounded, particularly to do it quickly without it being completely obvious. I'm not really defending Cuban or batting away at her accusation so much as thinking about the mechanics of it and going "I don't know if that sounds possible".

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

For her sake, a reference to his hand reaching her pants, and touching the genital area, would have accomplished the same thing - without the story being bogged down on if it is physically possible for a hand to go down jeans from the backside, and reaching inside the vagina.

Yes, I am fully aware I am mansplaining the woman's incident for her.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Can you mansplain to other men?

Draft saved Draft deleted