1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the andre dawson hypothetical

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe_schmoe, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Well, it looks like Murphy had an OPS that was 100 points higher. Not that anybody was paying attention to OPS in '87.

2. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Well, he KILLED Dawson in OPS -- 100 points is huge.

I think they cancel each other out in HR and Avg. -- they were about even. But Murphy did hit his 44 HR in 75 fewer ABs.

The RBI gap is glaring, but Hawk had a Hall of Famer (Sandberg) and a good Leon Durham batting in front of him. Murphy had Ken Oberkfell and the immortal Dion James.

Oh, and Murphy also crushed Dawson in runs scored -- 115 to 90.

What else you want to know, Doc?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Whether you spit or swallowed Dale's seed.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That made me spit something (my Sobe). :) :D ;D

Personally, I think Murph got hosed on that call (HOF, not '87 MVP). He should be in Cooperstown.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Especially if there was a nice guy Hall of Fame.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Gag me.

7. Hammer Pants

What's your beef with Murphy?

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I was just being sarcastic with the whole "niceguy hall of fame" cliche. I do hate people named Dale, though. Except one. I've met one Dale I've liked.

9. I like Dale Earnhardt. RIP.

10. Hammer Pants

Well, he is a hell of a man. I think he's got a pretty good argument to be in strictly on the field, though. He seems at ease with things either way, so that's nice.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think he should be in the HOF (so should Dawson, eventually), but the '87 MVP argument is folly.

12. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Ha, and I thought this was a web site for intelligent, mature sports conversation. Shoulda known better.

All I said was, it's surprising that Murphy finished so low (11th) in the balloting, since his and Dawson's numbers were so similar. And I do think, taking a second look at their stats 20 years later, the argument could be made that Murph had the better year.

But go ahead and call me a homo, whatever.

What time is recess these days, anyway?

Draft saved Draft deleted