1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Americans Season 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Apr 11, 2015.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That's giving even the fictional Soviets too much credit. Based on a New Yorker article last month, Pastor Tim could be CIA.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I hope you guys are right about his being from the Centre. That way I can go ahead and relinquish any qualms about wanting to see Phillip strangle him or blow his brains out.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind that. I love being surprised by this show. Wonder if they can top last season's shocker in the finale.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Bye Martha.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Probably.

But couldn't he also break it down for her exactly what he's doing and exactly what she has gotten herself into? As soon as Martha doesn't show up for work, it's going to be a five-alarm fire -- so if he feels like he's at risk with Stan or in any other way, he's only accelerating that.

But, yeah, I think you're right.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

There is zero chance that she survives the season, unless she shoots Philip (was her purse next to her on the bed and did it have the gun?).

As great as the dramatic effect was, I'm not sure why he would take off the wig in front of her instead of just shooting her. Or frankly why he didn't kill her after Hans dropped her off.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

True, I could see two options:
    1. Philip somehow successfully convinces her to continue and knowingly be a mole for the Centre. This seems too risky at this point, especially now that Philip knows Stan visited Martha and everything going on with Paige.
    2. We never see Martha again. The final scene with Philip removing the Clark disguise and her tearful, chilling reaction would be enough to imply that Philip killed her. That scene was so hauntingly perfect.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    LongTimeListener likes this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The pastor is a crazy story element.
    Let's say you are a parent in the early '80s.
    Not a spy, just a regular middle class parent.

Your daughter starts going to some goofy, activist church that does not match your household culture - you'd be really concerned.

The pastor of the church accepts a $500 church donation from your 14-year-old daughter without calling you - you are never letting her go to that church again.

The pastor is willing to let your daughter spend the night at his house - no way - on a school night - no way.

I am not now a spy nor have I ever been one, but I'd punch that guy in the mouth.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm convinced of two things: Martha isn't alive for next season and the church pastor turns out to be working for someone other than the lord.

Maybe KGB. Maybe CIA. Maybe someone else but he's up to something.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Not as action-packed as the previous season finales, but still a good one going into season 4. Loved the scene with Stan and Gaad ... I'm curious to see what Stan comes up with next.

And I'm even more convinced Pastor Tim is working for the Centre, otherwise this would tie up too nicely.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

SPOILER ALERT ...

... the way they worked their way out of the Martha inevitability, while keeping you guessing for so long about what might have happened, was tremendous TV-making.

They do season finales about as well as any show I've ever watched save for Breaking Bad.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That was good.
    This show is so damn good.

Even when there is not a lot of action, the story is always moving forward.

Will Stan stick it in Gaad's face?
    How did they ever think Paige would handle this?
    What is up with the f*cking pastor?
    What is going on with Martha?
    Is Philip going to have an affair with Stan's ex-wife?

Draft saved Draft deleted