1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The American Experience" RFK

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Jun 10, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Finally got to watch this last night. Fascinating show, very objective about how Kennedy changed over the years to finally become the man he was in 1968. I'd recommend it to anyone, but especialy to those born after he died he might not know the man, and how he came to be what he was.

I can still remember learning of his assasination the next morning, and then that awful day watching the TV showing the train carrying his body back to Washington. One of the saddest days in my young life. The photos they show of the crowds on the side of the tracks are unbelieveable, a real cross-section of America, and they are in real pain, as if a family member died.

There has never been a politician since who appealed to, and inspired, so many different groups, young and old, black, white and latino, rich and poor. I believe he would have been elected president in 1968 and the course of this country might have changed significantly. Certainly we would have been out of Vietnam by late 1969 or early 1970.

June 6, 1944, D-Day, forever changed the course of Western Civilization.
    June 6, 1968, the day RFK died, forever changed the course of America.

Strange coincidence.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What channel is this show on? History Channel? Sounds like a must-see.

3. micropolitan guy

The American Experience is on public broadcasting. It is one of the best shows on TV.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I watched it a couple weeks ago. Truly, truly good stuff.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I remember getting to school the day after he was shot and hearing about it and wondering if the U.S. wasn't going to descend to anarchy. I mean, in the 60s, there were riots and assassinations, it seemed, like every month. People who are nostalgic for those days are simply high.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I was 8 when it happened. Coming as it did on the heels of the King assassination and with the JFK killing still in my memory, I remember asking my parents why anyone would run for president, since they all seemed to get shot.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I found his wiretapping of Martin Luther King to be especially inspiring.

8. micropolitan guy

Watch the show. It's addressed substantially, along with RFK's work with Joe McCarthy and his taking partial responsibility for the U.S.'s involvement in Vietnam under his brother, to whom he was the top advisor.

As I said, it's very balanced, and not always flattering to RFK. It illustrates how his brother's death was the crucible of his life, and how he changed himself and his life after 11'22/63.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A friend of mine once said that AE was pop history... I told him I didnt care, I enjoyed it.
    As good as RFK is, it;s not in my top five shows....even if you discount Baseball, Lewis and Clark, The Civil War, and The West

10. Murray the K

Murray the K New Member

I recommend the biography by Evan Thomas. It's interesting watching him grow from the shy kid who just wanted to help his brother become president to the guy out front learning about civil rights. In the beginning he was more of a stubborn hardliner than JFK was -- the wiretapping, the way he acted toward MLK, the Bay of Pigs fiasco -- but he grew a lot after his brother's devastating death.

When I finally got to the shooting I was seriously bummed. Had to slam the book shut. I'm still not convinced he would've been nominated, but, of course, we'll never know.

I also saw the star-studded "Bobby" movie recently. It had its (few) moments, but why can't we have a real biopic of the man?

11. Buy the DVD. The extras are worth the price. I also recommend American Experience's "Las Vegas: An Unconventional History." Brilliant ...

Draft saved Draft deleted