1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing Race -- All-Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Sep 28, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Me me me me me pls Wenders!

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Add me to the pool, please.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Went ahead and drew those who put their names in. Anyone else who wants in, we still have 4 more spaces so I'll randomly assign you.

Huggy - Marcus & Michael
    MTM - Linton & Sharik
    nietsroob17 - Aubrey & David
    bumpy mcgee - Rich & Dom
    WolvEagle - Aastha & Nina
    TigerVols - Abby & Will
    WriteThinking - Quinton & Mattie
    Wenders - Luis & Michelle

(the leftover teams are Glenda & Lumumba, Tim & Rex, Derek & Claire and Emily & Molly. If anyone is absolutely dying to have Rex Ryan, first DM gets him LOL)

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

@Wenders can you toss Mrs TV’s name onto a random pair so she has someone to root for when we watch?

5. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

I've watched this thread for several seasons and kind of want to throw my name in, but don't really understand it. Are we putting real money in to join? What is this "pool"? Yes I seem stupid. Get past it.

6. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Just bragging rights. It's a points system based on how a team finishes each week.

7. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I've watched the show and this thread forever as well and never participated in the pool. Not sure why.

If there are still teams available, I'll take a random one.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Hey y'all! Glad to see some new faces. So how the pool is calculated: every place up your team finishes is +1 point (so last place gets 1 point, second to last gets 2, etc.) For the winners of the leg, they get the top number of points + 10. So today's winners, Derek & Claire, got 12 points for top place + 10 for winning the leg.

I've reassigned WolvEagle to Emily & Molly, since his team was eliminated first.

This may be an interesting season. No non-elimination legs? One bad taxi and you could be hosed. One challenge that doesn't go quite right and it could be over. Not sure if the "scramble" is going to continue, but there's some teams that need that competition standing right next to them to push them to their best. Also, it seems like a good mix of teams.

It's really hard to have any sense of how anyone is going to do from this first leg. But it was fun with the Oktoberfest challenges. (Also it's very obvious that I don't cheat because I swear my random team is always nearly DAL. LOL)

Pool update:
    UNC Grad - Derek & Claire | 22
    MRS TigerVols - Glenda & Lumumba | 11
    WriteThinking - Quinton & Mattie | 10
    MTM - Linton & Sharik | 9
    WolvEagle - Emily & Molly | 8
    Huggy - Marcus & Michael | 7
    tea and ease - Tim & Rex | 6
    TigerVols - Abby & Will | 5
    bumpy mcgee - Rich & Dom | 4
    Wenders - Luis & Michelle | 3
    nietsroob17 - Aubrey & David | 2
    Aastha & Nina | 1

9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

For the first time in multiple seasons, I believe my team survived the first leg. Not a lot of hope for the next one, but still alive. Also, with no non-eliminations, I am guessing we get a few 'the leg is not over, you are still racing!' at the finish line.

Wenders likes this.
  10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Wenders - Thanks. I didn't even know my team was one and done! I'll have to catch up - the 10 p.m. Eastern starts are not conducive to those who work the day shift.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's all just in fun, and good for a discussion of the episodes each week. I'm glad you've joined us. UNCGrad, too!

UNCGrad and Wenders like this.
  12. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

I like the scramble addition, and hope they throw that in occasionally. It's more interesting when teams aren't sure of their place.

Draft saved Draft deleted