1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing Race -- All-Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Sep 28, 2012.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I'm never one to miss out on the Race pool.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Count me in please!

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Count me in, too, please. 10 p.m.? Ugh. I'm usually headed to bed by then...

4. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

Please count me in too.

Thanks.

5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I haven't participated for awhile. Count me in.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Ok, we currently have:

Me
    MTM
    WriteThinking
    Huggy
    bumpy mcgee
    Iron_chet
    WolvEagle
    WCIBN
    Amy

Room for one more spot. Let me know if you want in before Thursday!

(I say one because I can't draw the pool until after the first leg when the teams are set, by which point one team will already have crashed and burned, I assume.)

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

With the move to Thursday night, do we need to set up a new spoiler-timeline discussion on what goes on each week or is everyone on their own?

8. Wenders

I say if you haven't watched live, don't click on the thread until you've watched. :p

I know you're all waiting with bated breath for your teams.... (sorry, I watched live last night but didn't have time to draw the pool until tonight)

Since we had two fewer people than teams, I did not draw for Kevin & Jenn (sorry, long-haired people. Y'all needed to learn to navigate) or Liz and Michael.

Pool results:
    Iron_Chet - Seth & Olive 21
    WolvEagle - Becca & Floyd 10
    MTM - Matt & Redmond 9
    bumpy mcgee - Brooke & Scott 8
    Wenders - Shamir & Sara 7
    Huggy - Tara & Joey 6
    WCIBN - Vanck & Ashton 5
    WriteThinking - London and Logan 4
    Amy - Jessie & Francesca 3
    Liz & Michael 2
    *Kevin & Jenn 1

*team has been eliminated

So A-the stupid hashtag nicknames are dumb and B-I wonder if they put less effort into the teams that aren't going to last long. (Sorry Liz & Michael and Vanck & Ashton. Although after consulting Wikipedia, it appears #TeamBrookeandScott is now #TeamWill&Grace. Huh.) Just a theory that I'm going to see about the rest of the season.

I really liked Jessie & Francesca (although was Phil a bad driver to LAX? How did they not make the first flight?)

For the detour, I'd have done the canoeing one, hands down, because I was a rower in college and I really REALLY suck at archery. Also, everyone: when you are canoeing with a partner, YOU PUT THE OARS ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE BOAT. This is simple physics.

Also, how cool would ziplining through the rainforest have been? Missed opportunity, TAR, MISSED OPPORTUNITY. Am I the only one who thought this was kind of a lackluster premiere? Usually, they have something big - skydiving, hang-gliding, bungee jumping, etc. on the first leg.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I actually got a team I like. They should win, but alpha male teams usually don't in TAR.

I could see Seth and Olive running the table.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I should be ashamed at how hard I laughed at the canoeing ineptitude on display. But I'm not.

That was a very entertaining episode.

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Nice to see Phil take on Shamir at the ... umm ... balls at the finish line.

12. Wenders

So I missed it. What exactly did Shamir do to his manhood?

But man, Liz & Michael with the surprise win! I really like them. And Amy, since your team is out, if you want them, I can switch you.

Not sure how I really feel about the stupid coin flip thing. It just makes senseless drama.

So full confession: since these people don't have a pre-existing relationship, it is really hard for me to keep everyone straight. I've got Vanck and Ashton down, Tara and Joey, Becca and Floyd, Matt & Redmond and Liz & Michael. Basically, if it's someone that doesn't have a really distinguishable look (or the all-guy team), I'm lost.

Loved the Samba challenge. Would have hated the window washing challenge.

Pool update:
    Iron_Chet - Seth & Olive 28
    Liz & Michael 22
    MTM - Matt & Redmond 17
    WolvEagle - Becca & Floyd 16
    WCIBN - Vanck & Ashton 14
    bumpy mcgee - Brooke & Scott 13
    Huggy - Tara & Joey 10
    Wenders - Shamir & Sara 9
    WriteThinking - London & Logan 7
    *Amy - Jessie & Francesca 4
    *Kevin & Jenn 1