1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The All-Star that wasn't

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by verbalkint, May 7, 2007.

1. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

Hello.

My name is Mike Mullen and I'm a freelance reporter based out of Minneapolis.

I feel I should introduce you to Bob Schulte. Bob was kind of a softball legend when I met him, but as it turned out, there was much more to the story. He was a can't-miss baseball prospect in the '50s, but he wasn't allowed to pursure this career. I wish I could say Bob's was a classic baseball story, but it's not. I've never heard anything like it.

I met Bob when I was living and working in Bismarck, North Dakota, and I wrote a story about him for the Bismarck Tribune. I decided then to rewrite the story for another paper, but, when we could not come to terms about the story's length, I posted it on my blog instead.

Simply put, Bob's is the best story I've ever had anyone tell me. I ask only that you stop by my site and check it out.

http://mikemullensblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/bob-schulte.html

Thanks for reading.

-Mike Mullen

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm glad Buck dub took the time to read it and compliment. I was inclined not to read it because people pimping their own web sites has a checkered history on this site -- cough, JDV, cough, attention whore! -- but on Buck Dub's recommendation, I'll give it a look.

Also, I'd recommend putting it in sports and news rather than the writer's workshop. I think it'll get more hits there.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Excellent story, Mike. Really engrossing. If I were you, I'd send that in for submission to BASW. It might not make it in, but damn if isn't one of the most interesting stories I've read in a while.

4. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Buck, while it will certainly get lost here, I'd rather run that risk in favor of the increased traffic.

Bigpern, I assume you mean Best of American Sportswriting, and I'll thank you for that. Obviously I'd rather just see it end up in print somewhere before I think about anything like that.

By the way, the paper in question was the Sioux Falls Argus Leader. Don't know if anyone else has dealt with them, but - and I'm just a kid in this game - I was very unimpressed.

Thanks again, and all feedback is welcome.

-Mullen

Draft saved Draft deleted