1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The all-purpose running photo/critique thread.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by audreyld, Jun 2, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I took this one the other day. I just hate reaction shots.

[​IMG]

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

That photo inspired a movie, or so I've heard. Heston played YA Tittle, can't recall the title.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Chaz, I can't get your photos to show up.

4. andykent

andykent Member

Never mind. I was about to ask who the pitcher was but when I clicked the "quote" feature it showed up as Finch, as in Jennie Finch. Excellent pitcher and nice on the eyes. ;)

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and, if i got that photo to put on a page as dominate art, i'd only crop from the top down and from left to right. ... and just a bit from the bottom up.

6. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Yup. Good call.

And Chazp's fotos are nothing more than little red x boxes.

7. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Unless it a story about Finch, I can't imagine turning that in as lead art. I'd be rather saddened if that was my best shot from any given game. Pitcher shots are a dime a dozen.

I think that's my biggest complaint about this photo. It's kinda dull.

I've got to find a place to put some photos up. Until then, here's another USA Softball shot. It also has a lot of open space, again intentionally.

[​IMG]

8. "Number One" is the movie in which Heston played an aging quarterback (for the dynasty known as the New Orleans Saints, as I recall), but I didn't know the film was based on this famous shot of Tittle.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ut, i was just giving an "if then" situation. no need to kick me square in the balls.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I was totally not going for that at all, TP. Honestly, I was just commenting on the fact that it's kind of a dull picture, especially because it doesn't make her face, its most dynamic feature, the most prominent element.

No kicking intended, bro.

And I especially like the really bad grammar I exhibited in the quoted post. You'd think I was a photographer or something... ;)

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

"Number One" was a novel first. And a damn good one. The movie was plagued by poor acting, including Sir Charlton himself, but is worth a look if you ever come across it some late night. It has a bit of a "North Dallas Forty" feel to it, with Heston as quarterback Ron Catlan staggering to the finish line of a career.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well, the left one still hurts a bit ut. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted