1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The AIG 73

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 19, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

As I said before, of all the outrages over the constitution being used as a table napkin over the past decade, taxing these assholes doesn't even register a blip. Worrying about taxing these guys ex post facto, with all the other shit going on, is the equivalent of fiddling while Rome burns.

Grab the pitchforks if this one sends you over the edge.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

False choice, false choice, false choice.

What on earth does past Constitutional problems have to do with whether or not this law is Constitutional? Wait, I'll answer that: Nothing.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Besides, I thought this administration was about Change.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It appears that Obama became aware of these AIG bonuses last Wednesday. At that point he would have had the opportunity to stop them but for whatever reason chose not to. It seems like he only changed his mind when it hit the fan on Monday - post bonus.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

"I'm starting with the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to change his ways." [/crossthreading]

[​IMG]

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When do we get to be upset about all the BS at Fannie Mae? They've just announced that bone-us payments will be coming to their folks, too.

Oh, that's right. Obama and Dodd and Frank are wholly owned subsidiaries of Fannie Mae. That makes it alright.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I kind of agree with Rick. Not only is it ex post facto, but it can also be considered a bill of attainder, which essentially declares the people getting the bonuses guilty of a crime and punishes them without benefit of a trial.

Last time I looked up Article I, section 9, clause 3 of the Constitution, that was expressly forbidden as well.

8. Armchair_QB

But...But...People are MAD!!!!!

If they can do it to AIG they can do it to any of us.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There's quite a bit of truth to this. The outrage over the bonuses is odd when you consider the greater issues out there still broken. These bonuses are a literal drop in the bucket compared to the bigger picture.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd rather have the right amount of outrage come way too late and be directed at a subset of the people responsible than have no outrage at all.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There's no doubt the outrage is good in that it forced everyone involved to take a closer look at this particular situation. Does anyone believe ANY of the bonuses would have been returned if not for the outrage?

However, let's remember this situation is only a microcosm of a much uglier picture.

12. Armchair_QB

And the fact remains that every grandstanding fuck on the Hill had a chance to get that clause removed or raise holy hell about its inclusion before the bill was passed and not one of them uttered a peep of protest until it was too late to do anything about it legally.

Draft saved Draft deleted