1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 9.5

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Once is a 9.5 definitely.

No Country is a 0.2. Horrible movie.

There Will Be Blood is a 9.5.

I was thinking the same thing about U2 and this newfound hysteria. I remember when they made the cover of Time in 1989 when I was a senior in high school. That was hysteria. Joshua Tree was a 9.5. Hell, some of their songs (Sunday Bloody Sunday) were a 9.5. This is all just marketing for the kids who were too young 4 years ago to understand how big U2 has been since 1980. They'll make another 50 gazillion, go on tour, make another movie. And then in 2012 do it all again for the kids today who are too young to understand what the hubbub is, bub.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid could never be a 10 as long as that damned song is still in there.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a joke: Teacher tells little Johnny to use the word urinate in a sentence. Johnny says, "Ms. Radford, you're an 8, but you'd be a 10 if your tits were bigger."

4. Songbird

Now that's a 10.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Huh?

I thought you had indicated that you are some sort of filmmaker....

6. Songbird

Once is fantastic.

NCFOM is just a wretched piece of shit. Some nice views when they're in the country and all, but the movie sucked.

And TWBB was fascinating.

And yes, I'm a moviemaker if I ever get a movie camera.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Shawshank Redemption, by this definition, would be a 9.5.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You could pray to make a movie that sucked that badly.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes, so is Jaws, Goodfellas, The original Raiders of the Lost Ark, Clerks and others.

In my book, to reach 9.5 you have to be great, and the last 20 minutes of TWBB left me wanting.

The cinematography was 9.5.
    The acting by DDL was 9.5.
    The soundtrack was a 9.5.
    Dano was a 9.5.

The ending just seemed contrived. There was too much of a jump to reach that spot, and to make DDL's character that fucking crazy just didn't make the movie that great for me.

Plus, other than HW and the blond girl, was there one likeable character?

Side question, was any CGI used in TWBB?

If there was not, the filming of the burning rig just amazes me. Some very difficult scenes must have been one take.

10. Songbird

Oh, I can make a movie like that.

Contrived story. Over-acted performances, especially Bardem. He won the Oscar, yeah yeah. But he was miscast. I know who I would've wanted. Hmm, let's have the lead guy get killed but not show it. Let's just show his dead body in the motel room. Yeah, quality stuff there.

I'd rather watch Superbad again, and that's the worst movie I may have ever seen beside Love, Actually and How Bad Can It Get?

But yes, I can make a movie better than NCFOM.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I wish I could change my screen name to 9.5.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Simon, NCFOM was a great movie with a shitty ending.

The Sopranos at least did the vague ending, but it fit. You didn't have to suspend your common sense to understand what was being said by the director.

I wish these movies would just take a great story and back it with the cinematography that was seen in Old Men and Blood.

Draft saved Draft deleted