1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 50th anniversary of a record that may never be broken

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

On March 2, 1962, 4,124 people in Hershey, Pa. saw Wilt Chamberlain score 100 points in an NBA game. So far, the closest anyone has come to matching the feat has been Kobe Bryant who collected 81 points.

2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Funny thing is that he didn't score in the last 46 seconds of the game because he thought 100 points was much cooler than 102.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

For those who play fantasy sports on DraftStreet.com, which I highly recommend, Wilt would have scored 122 points that night, without taking into consideration turnovers, steals, and blocks, which weren't listed on the boxscore I looked at today. Kobe's 81-point game would have given him 86.5 points.

Not bad.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And to think, the three-point shot wasn't even in existence in the NBA back then. Not that Wilt would have shot too many of them.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

There is a movement to create a stamp to commemorate the feat.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

He hit 28 of 32 attempts from the charity stripe. He was a career 51 percent free throw shooter.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

In case anyone is interested:

http://www.nba.com/warriors/history/100_point_game.html

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There were 233 field goals attempted in the game by the two teams.

Didn't anyone play defense that night?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Is that why Wilt stopped at 10,000 women (or was it 20,000)? Just thought round numbers were cooler?
    When I was a 10-year old boy at an Eagles game at Franklin Field, I was racing to get back to my seat from the hot dog stand, wasn't looking, and ran square into Wilt's shin and knee. Looking up at him remains the most terrifying moment of my life. Of course he was laughing at me at the time, but it took a moment for that to sink in.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Poor Cleveland Buckner. Had the game of his life that night, and no one will ever remember it.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Funny story. Chamberlain did a lot for the civil rights movement during a time when the country was segregated. He was a force on and off the court.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted