1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 46-inch nightmare

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ballcoach, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ballcoach

ballcoach New Member

We will soon be going to the 46-inch web and I can't think of a more difficult issue in the entire process than reworking agate (AP and locally produced templates) to make it fit in 10-pica columns. What papers out there are using the 46-inch web, and are there any kind souls out there who can offer some advice on the best way to attack this issue as well as provide some technical suggestions on the matter? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

We are in the process of doing that same thing, but the agate has already been switched. It was done before I got here. I know they didn't enjoy it, but I'll ask around for you.

What system are you using?

3. ballcoach

ballcoach New Member

ATS. Much thanks for inquiring.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I thought you were talking about my six-year old.
    The 46-inch web, unfortunately, is becoming the industry standard.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The 67-inch Webb:

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/280718.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0ED7134B16BE75E2DB7284831B75F48EF45

6. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

When I read 46 inch nightmare I thought you had some new kid on the staff that wrote a 46 inch story that was absolutely terrible.

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Agate works, you just have to have your tech guy adjust the macros. It is about tabs, not typeface. I don't think under 7pt is visible without a magnifying glass. I hope you have a tech guy who can play with those macros. If not, your agate clerk is going to have to do it manually which is a nightmare.

This should be the first thing your sports staff should have worried about. Our paper has 10 pica wide agate. It works well, though you do have to adjust standings now and then with tabs that kick over to the other line.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I thought someone was having a sale on Bulgarian flatscreens.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Thank GOD we moved to the narrower web before switching to ATS. If we did it with this dumbass system, I would quit. For real.

rb

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What everyone else said: have your tech people adjust the tabs to fit. We just switched to 46 this week, and haven't had a problem. Some agate (like Sunday golf with prize money) just has to go on two lines, no questions asked. Tinker with it and keep your tech guys in the loop on what works and what doesn't.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

that's what she said

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dammit! I had the under on the sexual innuendo over/under.

Draft saved Draft deleted