1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The $400 EpiPen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 23, 2016.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I honestly believe that you need legislation to keep capitalism in check. It's an inherently amoral system.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Golly, perfesser, is it because innocent children could die as a result?

Save the economics lesson for somewhere else. Let's talk morality here.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Best I can tell, a pair of EpiPens costs, what, $600? And in the vast, vast, vast majority of instances, those pens will go unused, meaning that for the vast, vast, vast majority of purchasers, it's a one-and-done thing every year.

So it costs a family with such vulnerabilities ... the equivalent of a 12-pack of beer a week.

And let's not even consider the fact that there's a perfectly good substitute that can be had at Walmart for ... the equivalent of two McDonald's cheeseburgers a week.

Yes, I can certainly see why this is evidence for why we need to "blow it up."

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why is it right? Because it's legal?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why aren't more people buying the cheeseburgers then?

6. doctorquant

WTF?

Oh, I see. Sorry, didn't get what you were asking.

That's a good question. Perhaps they're not aware of that option.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If there is a cheaper substitute that's just as effective, why are people bitching about $400 EpiPens and not just buying the $75 or whatever Walmart version?

8. doctorquant

Can You Get a Cheaper EpiPen?

9. Riptide

Defend Gatehouse next. Thanks.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

11. doctorquant

I don't know jack about Gatehouse (cue the jokes about me not knowing jack in general), but if you'll point out something you'd like me to consider, I'd be more than happy to take a stab at it.

I guess I should note that I'm not defending Mylan's actions here ... I'm simply challenging the notion that they're indefensible. I don't think Mylan is obligated to defend its pricing/marketing. It acquired whatever it's selling fair and square, and it ought to be able to do with it as it sees fit.

I do think many (both here and elsewhere) are guilty of drawing a conclusion by looking at only a very narrow part of the picture. Mylan's EpiPen strategies didn't emerge in a vacuum. Sector-wide changes in insurance and required coverage interacted with other developments (e.g., tort law as re: those who administer treatments for anaphylaxis) to create the opportunity for Mylan to make a shit-pile of money on these things.

You might also consider the fact that when something like this goes down, good things come of it. If Mylan keeps making shit-piles of money on EpiPens (I'd bet heavily against it), it ain't gonna be long at all before someone (lots of someones, actually) comes along with a comparable product that puts an end to all of that. Excess profits draw new entrants like nobody's business.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  12. Riptide

Study Gatehouse next. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted