1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2024 running motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to understand how this complicates Larson getting to the race. Additional security for people coming through the gates, sure, but he's gonna be coming in on a helicopter.

I like Larson and am excited to see him try the double 30 years after John Andretti became the first. But part of me wouldn't mind if Trump's presence didn't disrupt things and piss off some NASCAR fans.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Ralph Moody, Ricky Rudd and Carl Edwards make the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Hope he's off the steroids. And we need Jimmy Spencer to show up for one of them cheerleader deals.

Sorry. If we're already to the Edwardses of the sport, I think "Fame" is perhaps too strong a term.

wicked likes this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure about whether the disruption would be at the airport or maybe them not liking helicopters coming into the track. I wasn't clear on that myself.
    I'd be happy if it pissed off some fans, but I also don't think they'll hold the green for Larson.
    My ass will be passing near the track Friday morning on my way to Surf City, so I don't care what they do on Sunday.

Tarheel316 and franticscribe like this.
  4. maumann

Ugh. Sunday's forecast in Speedway is looking more and more bleak -- almost 85 percent chance of rain between 1-3 p.m. -- so Larson may finish the double at Indy on Monday afternoon instead.

I'm retired, so I have no problem hanging around for an extra day.

And glad Orange Cheeto hates the race fans of North Carolina more than Indiana. Maybe Mike Pentz scares him.

Last edited: May 21, 2024
    HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Driftwood

I bumped into and chatted with a two-time IHRA champion driver and NHRA champion engine builder at supper tonight. That's always fun.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The talk was that with Trump being at the speedway, they might shut down the airspace. Shutdown airspace = helicopter not landing.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Surf City as in Topsail Island?

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Yes, yes it is.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That seems like an overall nightmare for the track. I don't have much experience with CMS, but at IMS a lot of the teams and major sponsors rely on being able to get in and out via helicopter.

Is that a normal secret service protocol for former presidents and/or major party nominees? Obviously I can see it for the sitting president.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There goes any chance of the blackout being lifted for us locals.

maumann and franticscribe like this.
  11. Driftwood

Called it.

Stenhouse Jr. - $75K
    Stenhouse Sr. - suspended indefinitely
    Two Stenhouse crewmembers - 4 and 8 races

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  12. maumann

Two girls for every boy!

That brings to mind a somewhat embarrassing culture shock moment. We moved from California to Raleigh in 1991. Soon after, we saw a place advertising "beach music," which sounded like fun.

Well, suffice to say, no Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, or Dick Dale records were played that night. Apparently what we all called "beach music" out west is technically "surf music" to the rest of the country. This was pure rhythm and blues, with a distinctive beat. We knew the songs but had no idea what shagging was, other than the British definition. The dance sorta looks like a west coast swing but it's not.

Our eyes were opened that night, almost as much when we were trying to understand Western Carolina BBQ vs. Down East.

No, I ain't from around here.

Draft saved Draft deleted