1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2024 running motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Two drivers jawing surrounded by phones and cameras still amazes me, even in the era of endless phones and cameras. If you have a credential and get in the middle of that before the viral moment, is there any question Nascar sends you home for a month? I bet it's written in fine print on the back.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Between the rain delays and the only time they make news is when they brawl in the pits, NASCAR really has fallen off. I just don't care about it at all any more.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It shouldn't. Sells tickets.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The amazing thing is people are saying Kyle Busch is a victim. That *never* would've happened five years ago.

Ericsson's boner is one of the worst in motorsports history, but my fuzzy memory says there was a NASCAR race where someone took the white flag and thought they'd beat. Wish I could remember. Maybe it's apocryphal.

5. playthrough

Ken Griffey Jr. driving the pace car for the Indy 500. I guess Caitlin Clark couldn't do it (has Saturday night game in Vegas), but that is a really random choice.

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

First thought was that Caitlin might be too young for the Speedway to get insurance, even if they could have gotten her to the track on Race Day. Don't rental car agencies have an under-25 policy ban?

I still remember 1971 and will be watching the pace car intently once the field barrels into Turn 1.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. playthrough

Auto insurance rates are damn high these days.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've seen more and multiple angles of the fight. The crew member who was the third man in will and should take the biggest hit. His Sunday duties might be sweeping up back at the shop for several months.

Throw in the fact that Stenhouse had already had time to change into beachwear, then he had time to calm himself down. It wasn't like they just climbed out of the cars and went to blows.

Last edited: May 20, 2024
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So it'll shut down most of Las Vegas for several months, overrun the budget by millions of dollars, work for about eight minutes, get shut down for repairs until after everyone leaves, and then only a handful of people will be allowed to use it when nobody's there.

Sounds like a Liberty Media venture.

11. playthrough

I'll be at an old-school arcade playing "Pole Position."

Huggy, maumann, wicked and 1 other person like this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted