1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2021 Running NASCAR/IMSA/other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 30, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Vineyard and I-10 probably the closest, though my hometown spot (half-mile from where I grew up) was Sierra and Marygold.

maumann likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Based on what's already happening, let me preemptively say for the firs time this year:

Race. the advertised. distance.

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I think it was near Ontario Mills, which I believe is partially on the site of Ontario Motor Speedway. I always got to the track via Fourth Street.

EDIT: Man, I loved the Cask 'n Cleaver Steakhouse (Rancho? Upland?). Rarely busy and always got well-fed.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Only five of the last 15 Daytona 500s have been exactly 500 miles and the last was in 2017. That should be a prop bet.

MileHigh and Driftwood like this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct on the Mills, for sure partially on the site of OMS. In-N-Out at Vineyard and I-10 is near the airport and was usually one of my stops when I went back home but we have In-N-Out here now so not as special. Forgot about the In-N-Out near Mills. Took the nieces and nephews there a few years back after we saw the latest Star Wars movie on Christmas weekend. Windy as hell, but they all loved their burgers. Still had the twins with us.

Fourth Street runs through the heart of the steel mill and later becomes San Bernardino Avenue. Track entrance is Randall and Cherry.

maumann likes this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

7. Sam Mills 51

If you can't get something good out of any conversation with John Force, you're doing it wrong.

8. Sam Mills 51

Steak'N'Shake.

You're welcome.

maumann likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Are there places where Steak N Shake is still good? I loved that place for years and got so excited when it finally came to town. But the ones here were dirty, sloppy and had the most incompetent staff I’ve seen at any sit-down restaurant. (The one nearest me folded altogether.) But aside from the localized issues, it looked like the menu in general was focusing more on cheaper, lower-quality options.

10. Sam Mills 51

Used to crash the one at Daytona Beach once in a while during the eight memorable months I spent in Volusia County, and also the one in suburban Charlotte for years (actually Concord ... funny enough, not too far from CMS).

They were always better than the more standard fast-food options. Granted, I'm not exactly picky, but the stuff was a half-step or something full step better.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I got three laps on California Speedway’s road course before I left SoCal. I was the passenger in a Champ/Indy car, but I never can remember the driver’s name. There was a red button on one of the hold on posts you could push if you got scared and wanted off that ride. I asked where the go faster button was. I don’t know how fast we were going on the longest straightaway, but it was considerably faster than the 120 mph I have driven.

Buckweaver and Gluck also took rides that day, the three of us strutting around in our racing uniforms and shoes.

When the ride ended, I shook the very bored looking driver’s hand and said, “Better than sex.” He looked at me funny.

Thanks, and RIP, Louis Brewster.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    MileHigh likes this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

In-N-Out > Freddy’s > Steak’N’Shake

Draft saved Draft deleted