1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2014 SI Sportsman of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

I feel even more correct now in my seeking of discussion.

Thanks.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You don't need any help in looking the fool.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jesus, I love soccer, but Landon? Seriously, why in 2014? Great he led the MLS in assists, but he got cut before the biggest tournament in four years.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

If that discussion is centered around Landon Donovan then, no, there really is not. It may pain you to hear it, but fact is there simply are not enough people in this country that care or know about MLS to justify that choice.

5. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Priceless.

Well done.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He's playing against a lot of guys who make less than a truck driver. If MLS play is your criteria for Sportsman of the Year choice, I can't see it. He got cut before the big tourney. Otherwise, is this a lifetime achievement award?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Maybe he can be Time's Man of the Year. You should start lobbying now.

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Jeter has won the award before but it was 5 years ago. Is there a policy that prohibits winning a second time?

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes there is. It was in all the papers. Don't you read, man?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No, as far as I know there is no such policy. But in no way can you make an argument for Jeter this year. He was very mediocre on a non-playoff team. His retirement doesn't make him Sportsman of the Year.

I can list about 25 people/teams off the top of my head, including Landon Donovan, who have a much better case.

As noted in my original post, it was interesting being privy to some of the discussion. Lots of potential winners were kicked around. It is not a process that is taken lightly.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Who is the final arbiter? How is the decision made?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not really sure who has the final call, to be honest. I'm not high enough up the food chain (yet). I'm aware of some of the other candidates and some of the discussion. The conversation started a while back. I hope to be more involved next year because I love those kinds of conversations and decisions.

Draft saved Draft deleted