1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 137th Preakness Stakes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 16, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Outstanding picture of the finish in the Sun.

http://bsun.md/J5GTcK

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Terrific race.

And re O'Neill: The whole world's watching, now. You bet he'll be exemplary, for the foreseeable.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Really? I thought that was lacking on so many fronts. Was he actually at Pimlico on Saturday? If I were his editor, I would have sent it back to him and told him, 'Try again.'

4. Double Down

If you think that was lacking, I feel bad for you son. Journalism got 99 problems, but that column ain't one.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son asked me after Big Brown's disaster of a Belmont if he'd see a Triple Crown winner in his lifetime. I've seen three. I told him he might see one (maybe this year?) but I don't think he'll ever catch me. Pretty amazing to think there were three in the 70s.

What horse is lying in wait to screw this up?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Two of which were back-to-back. Crazy.

7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

They were talking about a couple that skipped the Preakness and were aiming at the Belmont. Union Rags was one of the names mentioned. Can't remember the other one.

8. Probably Dullahan. He was made for a race like the Belmont. I liked him as a late runner in the Derby, but with the extra quarter mile distance in the Belmont I think he can win going away. Even with the three week break I don't see I'll Have Another being able to hold up over the fix for a mile and a half, not with the quality of horses that skipped the Preakness and will run the Belmont. I'll Have Another will probably be like a 5-2 morning line favorite, but I can Dullahan at like 2-1 or 3-1 as the second favorite. I can't imagine Bodemeister runs the Belmont so unless Hansen runs as a pacesetter I can see a Preakness-like pace which would play right into what Dullahan wants to do.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I rewatched the race this morning. That horse stumbled as he made his move. Had to cost him 4-5 steps. And he still makes up all the ground. Just keeps coming.

10. Double Down

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/i-ll-have-another-game-in-winning-the-preakness--but-winning-the-triple-crown-remains-a-long-shot.html

Hate to say it, but I agree with Forde here. It will be three weeks of excitement, then a buzz kill.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

My primary concern is the jock. Not that he's no good -- not at all -- but Belmont is a tricky oval if you've never ridden it. It rewards patience. Multiple jocks (see Kent D, on Real Quiet) move too soon on that sweeping last turn, and it costs them. He's also vulnerable to the locals giving him the business . . . Stewy Elliott was tortured on the pace by competitors (yeah, I'm talking about you, Jerry Bailey) riding no-hopers who were essentially riding to get Smarty Jones beat, because he wasn't being ridden by a member of the club.

12. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I can see what you mean about the lack of local experience being a factor. The jockey apparently was riding at Hastings, which is a smaller track in British Columbia, as I recall. Definitely could be a factor.
    And as for your other point, if they were to put people in just so I'll Have Another wouldn't have a chance to win, that would be wrong on a lot of levels.

Draft saved Draft deleted